Python Forum

Full Version: Grabbing a Subset of a String
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need to create a new field we can call Date_Time_txt, which is based off of a long string (!FolderPath!). Example of the full string: "Call Loc/Folder/(555) 555-5555 - 2/27/2019 8:52:34 AM/RoomB". I initially started the code as Date_Time_txt= !FolderPath![42:64], which would start at the date and grab the time, but because of varying time and date characters, I also grab "/R" on some sets. How can I run the function to just grab the date and time?
I would go with a regular expression (the re module). Regular expressions are used in tons of languages, so if you did a web search for "date regular expression" I'm sure you would find one fitting your requirements.
(Jun-18-2019, 02:26 PM)ichabod801 Wrote: [ -> ]I would go with a regular expression (the re module). Regular expressions are used in tons of languages, so if you did a web search for "date regular expression" I'm sure you would find one fitting your requirements.
Thanks!
If structure of strings is similar then one can achieve desired result also without re

>>> s = "Call Loc/Folder/(555) 555-5555 - 2/27/2019 8:52:34 AM/RoomB"
>>> " ".join(s.rsplit("/", maxsplit=1)[0].rsplit(maxsplit=3)[-3:])
'2/27/2019 8:52:34 AM'