Python Forum

Full Version: Offensive user titles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who all feels that some user titles are offensive? Things like "Silly Frenchman", "Spanish Inquisitor", etc. You can post here publicly, or privately in private inquiries if you want to remain anonymous. If enough people have an issue with it we may modify them accordingly. So please speak up if you do.
Why are there these titles anyway?
Useless at all as nobody understands them. Offensive maybe if you are picky.
Why does a new board member start as "Silly Frenchman" why not "Dumb american"?
Definitely more truceful.
Replace the titles with a numeric value and call it "Rank" and all is good.
(Aug-06-2019, 07:41 PM)ThomasL Wrote: [ -> ]Why does a new board member start as "Silly Frenchman" why not "Dumb american"?

They're all from Monty Python sketches or movies. The silly Frenchmen figured prominently in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The stupid people in Monty Python were usual English.
(Aug-06-2019, 07:41 PM)ThomasL Wrote: [ -> ]Why are there these titles anyway?
User Titles
User Titles Wrote:The default user titles theme comes from Monty Python, thus where Python the language's name came from.
(Aug-06-2019, 07:41 PM)ThomasL Wrote: [ -> ]Useless at all as nobody understands them.
One of the main points that the user titles exist is to emphasize to our users that Python was based off Monty Python and not Pythonidae (the snake). And humor is a large part of Python.

Python will forever be linked with Monty Python. Phrases and quotes from it are always being thrown around in anything Python related. There is a even a list on the site.

python wiki
Quote:An important goal of Python's developers is keeping it fun to use. This is reflected in the language's name—a tribute to the British comedy group Monty Python[55]—and in occasionally playful approaches to tutorials and reference materials, such as examples that refer to spam and eggs (from a famous Monty Python sketch) instead of the standard foo and bar.[56][57]

(Aug-06-2019, 07:41 PM)ThomasL Wrote: [ -> ]Why does a new board member start as "Silly Frenchman" why not "Dumb american"?
If "Dumb American" was in a Monty Python sketch; it would have already been a user title. And a new board member does not start at "Silly Frenchman", but "Unladen Swallow". Those that have ever watched Month Python would understand all user titles.

(Aug-06-2019, 07:41 PM)ThomasL Wrote: [ -> ]Replace the titles with a numeric value and call it "Rank" and all is good.
Why do what every other forum does? Might as well be unique. This whole forum is customized for Python.
(Aug-06-2019, 09:25 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]This whole forum is customized for Python.

I think the admin team and some of the older users feel this more. For a long time we were stuck on a forum with an absent owner/admin, and we were unable to make necessary customizations. So we really enjoy the ability to customize for Python.
To my apology I have to say that I saw the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail about 40 years ago and it was synchronized in german so i didn´t/can´t really remember the titles or phrases.
I do know that Guido named his "baby" after that Monty Python but after reading that somewhere
i did not start studying all of Monty Python works to be able to understand all comedy references in the Python programming world.
Now as i know the background of these titles all is fine.
Actually all was fine before, too.
I just thought to give you my thoughts to your question.
Not sure if I would call using Monty Python reverences in relation to something python language related ... unique.

Just a thought.
I like these titles and don't find them offensive. But others mileage may vary.

I like the connection to Python roots and playfulness (and I don't like that people get offended so easily these days).

Maybe take it even further and provide titles in table as links to appropriate content about origin of the title (from montypython.net or wikipedia or from somewhere else). For example I reference dialog from Life of Brian which is source for title Verb Conjugator.
(Aug-13-2019, 09:12 AM)perfringo Wrote: [ -> ]...
Maybe take it even further and provide titles in table as links to appropriate content about origin of the title (from montypython.net or wikipedia or from somewhere else)
+1
Pages: 1 2