Python Forum

Full Version: Python IDE for mac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys, first post here so go easy.

I need to learn Python quickly as it appears some limited coding is required in my new job. I believe the company uses Eclipse but for the life of me I cannot get this working on my macbook and setup with Python.

Tried to use Aptana 3 instead but although I could get it to work with basic code as soon as I tried to import and run Selenium Webdriver it copped out with: Geckodriver needs to be in PATH. Messed about with this for an entire afternoon putting Geckodriver where it should be but with no luck.

Tried Pycharm but could not get on with it as it is very slow.

Downloaded Coderunner from the App store and it appears to be the only one that works with Selenium but it appears to be quite limited in its functionality.

What does everyone else use?
Hello and welcome!
Try this
I'm still a beginner and (therefore?) contented with IDLE, the IDE incuded in Python itself.
Otherwise, I found some recommendations for Atom: https://atom.io/ . The webpage claims that it works on OS X.
Pycharm eat too much RAM base on my experience. but it is the best for me.
for text editor, i use sublime.
PyCharm is such a good IDE! Does this make me a spammer?
I just use a text editor (Sublime) and run things in the console.
Test editor is fine, some of the things I like about vi are:
  • One click to create virtual environment
  • automatically use version control (of your choice)
  • Smart code completion
  • excellent code reformatting
I use Atom and ptpython for REPL,this combo work on all OS.
Shell cmder(Windows), fish(linux,Mac).
I had a quick review for Atom here.
Thanks all. Lots to think about there.

I guess putting some work into finding something I am comfortable with will be worth it in the long run. I am tempted to get back into vi or vim - at least I can pretty much guarantee this will be available over many of the platforms I use - Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi etc.

But then again I don't actually know what platform the company develops on! I really should have asked that on the interview I guess.
Well, vim runs on lots of platforms. But if you want to turn vim into full Python IDE you have to have permissions to install some useful plugins.
Pages: 1 2