Python Forum

Full Version: Python installation to folder. No admin rights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I succeeded once to make an installation of Python 2.7.16 to a folder. It's now a full usable python with all modules and add-on (such as pip and pyinstaller) functionnals.
The problem is that I can't remember how exactly I did it.
I think that I made the installation with msiexec in a dos console (cmd).
Maybe:

Quote:msiexec /a python-2.7.10.msi /qb TARGETDIR=C:\Users\sdasilva\Documents\test_install

The installation seems to start, but after few seconds, an error window appears saying that the file Readme.txt is missing:
"Source file not found: C:\Users\sdasilva\Documents\README.txt. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."

That's weird.

Maybe the options passed to msiexec were different.
Somebody to help me?
1) Why are you using python 2.x? It is the end of its life.
2) Why dont you set the install directory within the installer?
(Sep-19-2019, 11:23 AM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]1) Why are you using python 2.x? It is the end of its life.
2) Why dont you set the install directory within the installer?

1: Because avionics and aeronautics love old things. And i'm not up to date too.
2: Tried with
"msiexec /a python-2.7.16.amd64.msi /qb"
the error didn't occurred, but I don't know where the files were copied to. Not in the current folder.

I managed to workaround the problem by using python 2.7.15 instead of 2.7.16 (my first post was saying 2.7.10, but it was 2.7.16). But I hope i will not have different behaviour.
This works on Linux:
msiexec /i python-2.7.16.amd64.msi TARGETDIR="C:\myfolder" /qb
Here the full text from console:
andre@andre-GP70-2PE:~/Downloads$ msiexec /i python-2.7.16.amd64.msi TARGETDIR="C:\myfolder" /qb
andre@andre-GP70-2PE:~/Downloads$ ls ../.win
.wine/      .winff/     .winswitch/ 
andre@andre-GP70-2PE:~/Downloads$ ls ../.win
.wine/      .winff/     .winswitch/ 
andre@andre-GP70-2PE:~/Downloads$ ls ../.wine/drive_c/myfolder/
DLLs  include  libs         Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest  NEWS.txt      python.exe   README.txt  tcl
Doc   Lib      LICENSE.txt  msvcr90.dll                  python27.dll  pythonw.exe  Scripts     Tools
andre@andre-GP70-2PE:~/Downloads$ wine ../.wine/drive_c/myfolder/python.exe 
Python 2.7.16 (v2.7.16:413a49145e, Mar  4 2019, 01:37:19) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> 
I found the answer here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8839...-directory