Python Forum

Full Version: [split] capitalize dict keys for display in string
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(Oct-10-2019, 07:09 AM)perfringo Wrote: [ -> ]In order to save repeated typing one can use dictionaries and try...except:

email = 'somebody@somewhere'                                                           
subject = 'I lost my license'                                                          
header = (f'Dear customer {email},\n\n' 
           'Thank you for contacting our company.') 
footer = 'Thank you\n\nCompany customer service'
categories = {'i lost my license': 'You will be contacted via email to verify you license request.\n\n',
              'problem saving file': 'Saving file is done by pressing CTRL-S (Windows} or CMD- (Mac).\n\n'}

try: 
    print(f'{header}{categories[subject.lower()]}{footer}') 
except KeyError: 
    print('Sorry, dada-dada-blah-blah') 
This way one needs to add only key-value pair to categories dictionary for additional subject.

Hi!

I'm not sure if it is appropriate for me to ask a question here, as it is not my thread. If it is not appropriate, my apologies, and I'd be grateful, relieved and agreeable if it is moved to a new thread.

Well, my question is that you, as usual, made wise suggestions to my always improvable code. (I'm very grateful to you for that, as it makes me widen my knowledge.) I made the necessary adjustments to my code and got this:

# license_02.py
#

email1 = input('Please, enter your email:\n')
subject1 = input('Please, enter your Message Subject:\n')
subject1 = subject1.lower()
messageBody1 = input('Please, enter your Message Body:\n')

header = (f'Dear customer {email1},\n\n' 
           'Thank you for contacting our company.') 
footer = 'Thank you\n\nCompany customer service'
categories = {'i lost my license': 'You will be contacted via email to verify your license request.\n\n',
              'problem saving file': 'Saving file is done by pressing CTRL-S (Windows} or CMD- (Mac).\n\n'}

def getList(categories):
    for cat in categories.keys():
        return cat.capitalize()

try: 
    print(f'{header}{categories[subject1.lower()]}{footer}') 
except KeyError: 
    print(f"Sorry, you should write, word for word, one of these: '{getList(categories)}' on the message subject.")

and it works great on the two categories shown, but when I tried to improve also my code at the except KeyError:, by wanting to display all the keys of the dictionary, like this ideal output:
Output:
Sorry, you should write, word for word, one of these: 'I lost my license', 'Problem saving file', [ HERE FUTURE KEYS], on the message subject.
I managed to capitalize back the keys of the dictionary, but the only key printed is the first one:
Output:
Please, enter your email: User25@yeehaamail Please, enter your Message Subject: This is a test. Please, enter your Message Body: Blah blah blah ... Sorry, you should write, word for word, one of these: 'I lost my license' on the message subject. >>>
As usual, I tried different approaches, getting all kinds of error:
Error:
NameError: name 'capitalize' is not defined
Error:
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'keys'
Error:
TypeError: unhashable type: 'dict'
Error:
TypeError: unhashable type: 'dict_keys'
Error:
TypeError: unhashable type: 'slice'
Error:
TypeError: keys() takes no arguments (1 given)
Once again, I apologise if I'm posting in the wrong place. Please be free to move it where you see it feasible.

Thanks and all the best,
as it is now your getList will return just the first key (see the indentation of the return statement)
def getList(categories):
        return cat.capitalize()
probably you want
def getList(categories):
    return [cat.capitalize() for  cat in categories.keys()] # this will return list of keys()
    # return ', '.join(cat.capitalize() for  cat in categories.keys()) # this will return comma separated string
if you get list from function you will need to construct the comma separated string in the f-string

print(f"Sorry, you should write, word for word, one of these: \"{', '.join(getList(categories))}\" on the message subject.")

or you can directly change the print function
print(f"Sorry, you should write, word for word, one of these: \"{', '.join(map(str.capitalize, categories.keys()))}\" on the message subject.")
Hello,

Your getList function returns immediately after the first iteration because the return statement is inside the for loop.
If you want it to return a result with all the string capitalized in it, build a list and return it after the loop, for example :

mylist = []
  mylist.append(cat.capitalize())
return mylist
Something like below?

>>> f"You must pick one from: {', '.join(key.capitalize() for key in categories)}"             
'You must pick one from: I lost my license, Problem saving file'
Or with quotation marks:

>>> f"""You must pick one from: {', '.join(f'"{key.capitalize()}"' for key in categories)}"""                                                                                     
'You must pick one from: "I lost my license", "Problem saving file"'