Python Forum

Full Version: Help figuring out why I can't install pygame
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Trying to install pygame and am getting the following message. I have no idea what the problem is and any help is greatly appreciated. Thx

C:\Users\17175>pip install pygame
Collecting pygame
Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/...9.6.tar.gz
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
command: 'c:\python\python38\python.exe' -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'C:\\Users\\17175\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-a_610hsq\\pygame\\setup.py'"'"'; __file__='"'"'C:\\Users\\17175\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-a_610hsq\\pygame\\setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' egg_info --egg-base pip-egg-info
cwd: C:\Users\17175\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-a_610hsq\pygame\
Complete output (17 lines):

WARNING, No "Setup" File Exists, Running "buildconfig/config.py"
Using WINDOWS configuration...

Download prebuilts to "prebuilt_downloads" and copy to "./prebuilt-x64"? [Y/n]Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Users\17175\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-a_610hsq\pygame\setup.py", line 194, in <module>
buildconfig.config.main(AUTO_CONFIG)
File "C:\Users\17175\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-a_610hsq\pygame\buildconfig\config.py", line 210, in main
deps = CFG.main(**kwds)
File "C:\Users\17175\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-a_610hsq\pygame\buildconfig\config_win.py", line 576, in main
and download_win_prebuilt.ask(**download_kwargs):
File "C:\Users\17175\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-a_610hsq\pygame\buildconfig\download_win_prebuilt.py", line 302, in ask
reply = raw_input(
EOFError: EOF when reading a line
----------------------------------------
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.
WARNING: You are using pip version 19.2.3, however version 19.3.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'python -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.

C:\Users\17175>
Thank you very much, I will go through the thread.
try running it in verbose to see if it gives you more information on the issue.
pip -v install pygame 
Quote:command: 'c:\python\python38\python.exe'
Python3.8 is very fresh and some libraries may yet to be available for it still. Try python 3.7.X
After reading a lot, I figured out I had pygame for Python 3.8. pygame's most recent release is for Python 3.7.x
Thanks again for the link.