Python Forum

Full Version: () "" ("") Basic help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello What are the exact rules using these signs
"" : () and_this
(" i no this means print eveything inside ") "but how about when its like this " (or this)
i just finished my first tutorial i keep messing up because i cant seem to find a clear cut answer for this
Well, your question isn't very clear. Parentheses can mean a lot of things. They can be a function call: func_name(argument). They can define a tuple, which is a type of sequence: (8, 0, 1). They can also force a different order of resolution in an expression: (1 + 2) * 3. They can define parameters in a function definition: def foo(bar = 'eggs'):. The can specify a parent class in a class definition: class Dog(Animal):.

Colon generally goes at the end of a statement and indicates an indented block of code that is associated with that statement. It can be a class or def statement, a conditional statement (if/elif/else), a loop (for/while), a try/except block, and maybe some others I've forgotten. A colon is also used in a dictionary definition: colors = {'Lancelot': 'blue', 'Galahad': 'green'}.

Quotes start a string literal. Three of them in a row start a multi-line string literal. Parentheses inside quotes are part of the string literal. Quotes inside parentheses depend on what the parentheses are doing.
This isn't an answer, more just a general comment. At first your answer did seem unclear, and then I flashed back on when I first started doing programming, and I thought at the time that there should be a list of the rules of the language C, the way that there's a list of the rules of the game of chess.

However, there really isn't such a list of rules for programmer usage. Interpreters (or compilers in the case of compiled languages) do have a list of rules, but I don't think it's terribly helpful for an actual programmer. You could go through the spec yourself,for example at https://docs.python.org/3/reference/lexi...delimiters it says this about double-quotes ("), "The following printing ASCII characters have special meaning as part of other tokens or are otherwise significant to the lexical analyzer:

' " # \"

Mostly you just have try out examples, and see what works and what doesn't, and infer the rules from that.

But @ichabod801 gave a more direct answer to your question.
And maybe if you had specific examples where the symbols are confusing you or causing errors, we could address those situations specifically.
Thank you all this seems like it one of those things where i have to just keep chugging along until i get it down. thanks!!!!