Python Forum

Full Version: Visualize Geo Map/Calculate distance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I am thinking about creating a map with pin-drops based on database. I would like to make a tool which would calculate distance between location from database and locatiom provided by user.

Some time ago i created such a mini excel-tool based on geo coordinates. It was comparing database lat/long to inputted by user lat/long and then returned the best result.
However, it wasn't accurate, because i was interested in real-time distance based commute time (so it should be some way/highway, not ocean/sea/river or whatever like that :P) nor straight line, but it should conisder possible shortest path.

Now i found "Bing Maps" add-in in excel, but it can visualize only 100 rows ( i have at least 500 in my database).

Ideally, i would like to check distance, population, size of the provided city - is it doable?

Is it even doable? Which app/code would be the best to create such a tool? Do you have any proposals or you had similar project in the past?

I don't know Power BI much, but i think that might be used?

#EDIT
Actually ... i can use scrapping and use python to read from excel ...