Python Forum

Full Version: splitting a string with 2 different delimiters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have a big string with 2 different delimiter characters. i want to split this big string into a list of strings for both delimiters. also, i want to keep the delimiter character at the beginning of each string it start a new string at.

with delimiters "XY", "XfooYbar" -> ["Xfoo","Ybar"]

i could make a function that does this character-by-character. but that might be too slow for the 100's of millions of characters i expect this to work with. this project needs to be limited to what comes with Python and what i can include in the code.
Hi,
One easy solution:
string = "XfooYbar"
pars1 = "X"
pars2 = "Y"
final = []
xpos = string.find("X")
ypos = string.find("Y")
final.append(string[xpos:ypos])
final.append(string[ypos:])
print(final)

Or a better solution with Regex:
import re
string = "XfooYbar"
regex = re.compile('^(X[^Y]+)(Y[^X]+)$')
final2 = []
m = regex.match(string)
[final2.append(items) for items in m.group(1, 2)]
print(final2)
Try this regex "[-.]+". The + after treats consecutive delimiter chars as one. Remove plus if you do not want this.
@BamBi25

i modified the test string:
import re
string = "XfooYbarXbooYfar"
regex = re.compile('^(X[^Y]+)(Y[^X]+)$')
final2 = []
m = regex.match(string)
[final2.append(items) for items in m.group(1, 2)]
print(final2)
which seems to have a problem:
Output:
t2a/forums /home/forums 15> cat -n foo.py 1 import re 2 string = "XfooYbarXbooYfar" 3 regex = re.compile('^(X[^Y]+)(Y[^X]+)$') 4 final2 = [] 5 m = regex.match(string) 6 [final2.append(items) for items in m.group(1, 2)] 7 print(final2) lt2a/forums /home/forums 16> py3 foo.py Traceback (most recent call last): File "foo.py", line 6, in <module> [final2.append(items) for items in m.group(1, 2)] AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'group' lt2a/forums /home/forums 17>
Try this
re.findall(r'(X[^Y]+)(Y[^X]+)', string)