Python Forum

Full Version: Unable to save filepath to config.ini file using filedialog.askopenfilename
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone, hope you are all well these holidays.

I'm having problems updating and writing to a config.ini file using filedialog.askopenfilename in Tkinter.

Example of my config file:
[Keyword Files]
kwA = 100_questions.txt
kwB = 91K_nouns.txt
kwC = 31K_verbs.txt
kwD = 28K_adjectives.txt
kwE = 6K_adverbs.txt
Here is the bit of code, it's assigned already to a tkinter button:

def kw_txt1(self):    
        kwTXT1 = filedialog.askopenfilename(filetypes =[('Text File', '*.txt')])
        config = configparser()
        x = re.sub("/", "\\\\", kwTXT1)
        y = re.sub("/", "//", kwTXT1)
        print(x)
        print(y)
        print(kwTXT1)
        config.set('Keyword Files', 'kwA', 'kwTXT1')
        config.write('C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/config.ini')
As you can see, there is a lot there but it's because I've been trying many different solution for this error here.:
Error:
File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\configparser.py", line 902, in set raise NoSectionError(section) from None configparser.NoSectionError: No section: 'Keyword Files'
I've been reading up everwhere and I got to thinking it's the way the filepath was set, but I tried using different 'experimental ways' to see if I can get it in. I've been able to generate all these filepaths:
C:\Users\Stryker\Desktop\py\31K_verbs.txt
C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/31K_verbs.txt
C://Users//Stryker//Desktop//py//31K_verbs.txt

But I still get the error that the section 'Keyword Files' is missing, when it clearly is there on my config file.

I even tried many variations of .split(os.path.sep).os.path.join(os.path.sep) but nothing. Any ideas?

I can read from config file no problem, I've gotten reading from config file just fine, it's writing the file name into the my config file that has me stumped.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
look into pathlib (It's the new (python 3.6) Object-oriented way to deal with filesystem paths): https://docs.python.org/3/library/pathlib.html
(Dec-28-2019, 01:30 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: [ -> ]look into pathlib (It's the new (python 3.6) Object-oriented way to deal with filesystem paths): https://docs.python.org/3/library/pathlib.html
Can you give me an example of how to make this work? This has me a little overwhelmed.
Grrrrr, working with filepaths is HARD!

OK, I'm closer, but no cigar:

def kw_txt1(self):    
        config = ConfigParser()
        path = pathlib.Path(kwTXT1)
        print(kwTXT1)
        print(path)
        config.set('Keyword Files', 'kwA', 'path')
        config.write('config.ini')
And I get the same error. And as it can be seen I am able to create an acceptable path:

Error:
C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/91K_nouns.txt C:\Users\Stryker\Desktop\py\91K_nouns.txt Exception in Tkinter callback Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\tkinter\__init__.py", line 1883, in __call__ return self.func(*args) File "c:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/4.3aa.py", line 642, in kw_txt1 config.set('Keyword Files', 'kwA', 'path') File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\configparser.py", line 1201, in set super().set(section, option, value) File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\configparser.py", line 902, in set raise NoSectionError(section) from None configparser.NoSectionError: No section: 'Keyword Files' PS C:\Users\Stryker\Desktop\py>
I think I need to figure out how to put the 'r,' before the variable 'kwTXT1', not sure.

Any help appreciated, this filepath stuff is harder than I've come across yet.
I'm trying to debug this in steps, but I just can't get it:

def kw_txt1(self):    
        config = ConfigParser()

print(kwTXT1)

aaa = 'C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/6K_adverbs.txt'
        print(aaa)
        path = pathlib.Path(aaa)
        print(path)
        print(aaa)
        config.set('Keyword Files', 'kwA', 'aaa')
Error:
C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/6K_adverbs.txt C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/6K_adverbs.txt C:\Users\Stryker\Desktop\py\6K_adverbs.txt C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/6K_adverbs.txt Exception in Tkinter callback Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\tkinter\__init__.py", line 1883, in __call__ return self.func(*args) File "c:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/4.3aa.py", line 647, in kw_txt1 config.set('Keyword Files', 'kwA', 'aaa') File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\configparser.py", line 1201, in set super().set(section, option, value) File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\configparser.py", line 902, in set raise NoSectionError(section) from None configparser.NoSectionError: No section: 'Keyword Files' PS C:\Users\Stryker\Desktop\py>
-----------------

def kw_txt1(self):    
        config = ConfigParser()

print(kwTXT1)

aaa = 'C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/6K_adverbs.txt'
        print(aaa)
        path = pathlib.Path(aaa)
        print(path)
        print(aaa)
        config.set('Keyword Files', 'kwA', 'path')
Error:
C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/6K_adverbs.txt C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/6K_adverbs.txt C:\Users\Stryker\Desktop\py\6K_adverbs.txt C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/6K_adverbs.txt Exception in Tkinter callback Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\tkinter\__init__.py", line 1883, in __call__ return self.func(*args) File "c:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/4.3aa.py", line 647, in kw_txt1 config.set('Keyword Files', 'kwA', 'path') File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\configparser.py", line 1201, in set super().set(section, option, value) File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\configparser.py", line 902, in set raise NoSectionError(section) from None configparser.NoSectionError: No section: 'Keyword Files'

Sorry to keep answering my own thread, but I'm showing the different things I'm trying to no avail. This here I tried to sort of hack something (anything!) in and converting to string:

def kw_txt1(self):    
        config = ConfigParser()

print(kwTXT1)

aaa = '6K_adverbs.txt'
        print(aaa)
        path = pathlib.PureWindowsPath(r'C:\Users\gahjelle\realpython\file.txt')
        print(path)
        print(aaa)
        config.set('Keyword Files', 'kwA', str(path))
-------------
    def kw_txt1(self):    
        config = ConfigParser()

print(kwTXT1)

aaa = '6K_adverbs.txt'
        print(aaa)
        path = pathlib.Path(r'C:\Users\gahjelle\realpython\file.txt')
        print(path)
        print(aaa)
        config.set('Keyword Files', 'kwA', str(path))
And the same error, when my config has the section on it:

Error:
C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/100_questions.txt 6K_adverbs.txt C:\Users\gahjelle\realpython\file.txt 6K_adverbs.txt Exception in Tkinter callback Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\tkinter\__init__.py", line 1883, in __call__ return self.func(*args) File "c:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/4.3aa.py", line 647, in kw_txt1 config.set('Keyword Files', 'kwA', str(path)) File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\configparser.py", line 1201, in set super().set(section, option, value) File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\configparser.py", line 902, in set raise NoSectionError(section) from None configparser.NoSectionError: No section: 'Keyword Files' PS C:\Users\Stryker\Desktop\py>
Here's an example from one of my applications,
Note that I wanted all of my paths to be relative so the the application could be run from any location:
This is a large implementation, so you should be able to see that advantage and interrelationship of project paths
# Relative pathlib path list (base path is Scraper/src)
# Includes common files.
#
# Author: Larz60+ (c) 2018
from pathlib import Path
import os
import sys

class ScraperPaths:
    def __init__(self):
        # set starting path = src directory
        os.chdir(os.path.abspath(os.path.dirname(__file__)))

self.homepath = self.get_root_dir(rootnode='src')

self.rootpath = self.homepath / '..'

self.basepath = self.homepath / 'BaseFiles'

# self.virtualbin = self.rootpath / 'venv' /  'bin'
        self.geckopath = Path('/usr/local/bin') / 'geckodriver'
        self.chromepath = Path('/usr/local/bin') / 'chromedriver'

self.document_path = self.rootpath / 'doc'
        self.document_path.mkdir(exist_ok=True)

self.datapath = self.rootpath / 'data'
        self.datapath.mkdir(exist_ok=True)

self.RawDatapath = self.datapath / 'RawData'
        self.RawDatapath.mkdir(exist_ok=True)

self.codespath = self.RawDatapath / 'Codes'
        self.codespath.mkdir(exist_ok=True)

self.datalogpath = self.datapath / 'logs'
        self.datalogpath.mkdir(exist_ok=True)

self.jsonpath = self.scrapedatapath / 'json'
        self.jsonpath.mkdir(exist_ok=True)

self.htmlpath = self.scrapedatapath / 'html'
        self.htmlpath.mkdir(exist_ok=True)

self.tmppath = self.datapath / 'tmp'
        self.tmppath.mkdir(exist_ok=True)

def display_dict(self, thedict):
        for key, value in thedict.items():
            if isinstance(value, dict):
                print(f'{key}:')
                self.display_dict(value)
            else:
                print(f'    {key}: {value}')

if __name__ == '__main__':
    ScraperPaths()
There's also code in there to create organized dictionary list, not used here, but might prove useful for other purposes.
examples:
run to list all files in json directory
import ScraperPaths

spath = ScraperPaths.ScraperPaths()
p = spath.jsonpath
print([x for x in p.iterdir() if x.is_file()])
Wow thanks @Larz60+ I have a lot to look through here, will get back ... thanks!
Ok, after looking through your help there, I thought I could figure it out but I'm a little confused.

Can I just use a part for .txt files? That's all I need, and how could I implement it?

Sorry for being a bug, and thanks for your help.
you should read the documentation here: https://docs.python.org/3/library/pathlib.html
It's well written, and you'll get a lot out of it
Here's a few things that you can do once you have a path:
assume:
from pathlib import Path
import os

class MyPaths:
    def __init__(self):
        # set starting path = script path
        os.chdir(os.path.abspath(os.path.dirname(__file__)))

self.homepath = Path('.')

# Make a data path in script directory
        self.datapath = self.homepath / 'data'
        self.datapath.mkdir(exist_ok=True)

# put a text file in datapath

my_text_file = self.datapath / 'MyTextFile.txt'

with my_text_file.open('w') as fp:
            fp.write(f"Just any old text")

# Ok now show fill path of text file:
        print(f"\nMyTextFile.txt path is: {my_text_file.resolve()}")

# Show just the filename
        print(f"\nfilename: {my_text_file.name}")

# Show the stem of filename (part before .)
        print(f"\nfilename: {my_text_file.stem}")

# Show file suffix:
        print(f"\nfilename: {my_text_file.suffix}")

# Get directory list of just files in data:
        print(f"\nAll files: {[filename for filename in self.datapath.iterdir() if filename.is_file()]}")

# create a sub directory in data, and then list just directories
        newpath = self.datapath / 'newpath'
        newpath.mkdir(exist_ok=True)
        print(f"\nAll dirs: {[filename for filename in self.datapath.iterdir() if filename.is_dir()]}")

if __name__ == '__main__':
    MyPaths()
results:
Output:
MyTextFile.txt path is: .../projects/T-Z/T/TryStuff/src/Paths/data/MyTextFile.txt filename: MyTextFile.txt filename: MyTextFile filename: .txt All files: [PosixPath('data/MyTextFile.txt')] All dirs: [PosixPath('data/newpath')]
Additional reading: https://treyhunner.com/2018/12/why-you-s...g-pathlib/
https://pbpython.com/pathlib-intro.html
I think ny problem is something different now, to be honest. I've been doing some debugging not using a filepath and I still get the same problem:

On my config file:

[Keyword Files]
kwA = 100_questions.txt
kwB = 91K_nouns.txt
kwC = 31K_verbs.txt
kwD = 28K_adjectives.txt
kwE = 6K_adverbs.txt

[hereitgoes]
hereitmustbe = change me
The bit of code:

def kw_txt1(self):    
        config = ConfigParser()

print(kwTXT1)

aaa = 'this'
        bbb = str(aaa)
        print(aaa)
        print(bbb)
        config.set('hereitgoes', 'hereitmustbe', 'bbb')
        config.write('C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/config.ini')
The error:

Error:
C:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/28K_adjectives.txt this this Exception in Tkinter callback Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\tkinter\__init__.py", line 1883, in __call__ return self.func(*args) File "c:/Users/Stryker/Desktop/py/4.3aa.py", line 648, in kw_txt1 config.set('hereitgoes', 'hereitmustbe', 'bbb') File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\configparser.py", line 1201, in set super().set(section, option, value) File "C:\Users\Stryker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\configparser.py", line 902, in set raise NoSectionError(section) from None configparser.NoSectionError: No section: 'hereitgoes'
If I can't figure this out, which I really want to do, I may fall back and use a .csv file to store settings for my tkinter app, I don't want to though … :\

Also tried without full path to config, which is in the folder of all my .py stuff:

def kw_txt1(self):    
        config = ConfigParser()

print(kwTXT1)

aaa = 'this'
        bbb = str(aaa)
        print(aaa)
        print(bbb)
        config.set('hereitgoes', 'hereitmustbe', 'bbb')
Pages: 1 2