Python Forum

Full Version: Questions about Python executable and security
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

My latest project is a little bug script that does some harmless things like copy some random text files to desktop. This project is for educational purposes.
And will be written and installed to a windows 10 system.

Being an amateur 'developer' I have some questions of the deployment of this script.

I assume I will use pyinstaller to compile to .exe.

Let's say the user will install this program and execute it. I am unfamiliar with how app signing works and so forth. After the user clicks the .exe, I assume windows will ask for permission to run an unknown program? When the user clicks yes, and allows permission to execute, are there any other measures of protection in a typical windows environment that could prevent the execution of such script? Anti-virus would not detect such script, I assume.

What might be missing from my assumptions that would prevent a python script compiled via pyinstaller to execute for security reasons?

Thank you
No one is able to answer?
(Jan-09-2020, 07:47 PM)ironfelix717 Wrote: [ -> ]When the user clicks yes, and allows permission to execute, are there any other measures of protection in a typical windows environment that could prevent the execution of such script? Anti-virus would not detect such script, I assume.
I don't use Windows anymore, but I wouldn't assume that Python is invisible to an anti-virus.

(Jan-09-2020, 07:47 PM)ironfelix717 Wrote: [ -> ]What might be missing from my assumptions that would prevent a python script compiled via pyinstaller to execute for security reasons?
You might find more help on this topic on a Windows security forum.

If you have the flexibility, I suggest you dive in and run experiments, software is often magical in how easily and quickly you can test things, especially in an iterative fashion (you can keep compiling more aggressive Python code, seeing at what point an AV notices it).