Python Forum

Full Version: Help with Upgrading to Python 3.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Python Community.

I am working on learning Python on my MacBook Pro running Catalina. The current version of Python on the system is 2.7.16. I am trying to use PyCharm as my IDE and it is picking up the 2.7.16 and the course is coding on 3.7 .

I have downloaded and installed Python 3.8 from Python.org but when I run in a terminal "python3 --version" it shows me "Python 3.7.3". I was expecting to see "Python 3.8.1".

There is something I'm doing wrong and would love your help to confirm I am running 3.8 on my system.

Thank you in advance,
You can have multiple versions of Python installed and pick the one you need in many ways depending on the OS and IDE you're using.

PyCharm is easy: File > Settings > Project > Project Interpreter: <Pick the version from the pulldown>

In Windows OS you need to modify the %PATH% Environment Variable. I have no clue about Macs. Probably in '/etc/path' if it's unix-like. Do a Google search for a guide on it...

EDIT: You also might want to check with your course instructor before upgrading from the version they're using. Sometimes there are good reasons to have the whole class running the same version. Wink

EDIT2: If you don't see all installed versions listed in the PyCharm settings you may need to click the cog icon to see all the interpreter and environment options.