Python Forum

Full Version: How to install the latest version of Python on RHEL 8?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is really frustrating.

I am looking for the 'installation and configuration' forum on this site, and cannot seem to find it.

Is it that no one anywhere has installation and configuration problems with Python ever?
This is really frustrating.

I want to install the latest version of Python on RHEL 8, (RHEL being one of the most widely used distributions of Linux).

I would like to type:
#dnf install python

and have it install the latest version of Python.

I can't do this, and don't know why.

When I go to python.org and click on 'install for Linux' I get a link to the source code.

There are no instructions there as to what to do with the source code.

I do not understand why this is.

I don't want the source code, I want to install python 3.8.1 executables for my platform (RHEL 8).

I search on how to install python 3.8.1 from source and get a long list of dependencies that I have to install and a long list of steps.

---
Is this because it is a very rare thing for companies to run Python on Linux?

Can we get together here and make it easy for folks to install Python on Linux?

I'm willing to pay money out of my daily earnings to setup a RHEL 8 repo to get Python 3.8 there if IBM/Redhat is not willing to do this.

Why does IBM / Redhat hate Python?

This is very frustrating, I should be able to knock this task out in a few seconds, and it has turned into hours.

The same amount of hours to figure out how to do this is probably done every day by developers all over the world that want to install/run the latest version of Python on Linux (CentOS / RHEL).
I am looking for a sub-forum on this forum that deals with installation issues.

I can install Python on Windows OK, it's an undesirable way using a .exe installer. I simply want a .zip file that I can expand and use, instead of an installer that splats stuff all over my system that remains there forever, even if I run the uninstaller.

---

I am looking for a dedicated installation forum to ask a question about installing Python on Linux.

I don't want to install from source, I want to use a package manager.

They Python and Linux community do not seem to be working with each other, and I would like to get this conversation started.

I don't know why the Python community hates Linux - Does everyone everywhere use only Windows when using Python? Am I the only person trying to run Python on Linux?
What exactly happens when you try to install Python using DNF? That would be the preferred way to do it.
I recommend using pyenv (or pyenv-installer) to install and manage python versions.
(Feb-11-2020, 05:56 AM)devlocalca Wrote: [ -> ]Does everyone everywhere use only Windows when using Python? Am I the only person trying to run Python on Linux?
You must be kidding, right?
(Feb-11-2020, 07:03 AM)buran Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to install from source, I want to use a package manager.
It's up to the team of your distro to include it.

For RHEL8, read
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2019/...e-linux-8/
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/...in-rhel-8/
(Feb-10-2020, 10:45 PM)devlocalca Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want the source code, I want to install python 3.8.1 executables for my platform (RHEL 8).
I suggests pyenv as @stranac do.
My tutorial pyenv Simple Python Version Management
Look at wiki for build tools to RHEL,it will be under CentOS/Fedora 21 and below:
A couple of site that have RHEL setup pyenv blog1, blog2

(Feb-10-2020, 10:45 PM)devlocalca Wrote: [ -> ]Why does IBM / Redhat hate Python?
I don't think this is true at all.
(Feb-10-2020, 10:45 PM)devlocalca Wrote: [ -> ]Does everyone everywhere use only Windows when using Python? Am I the only person trying to run Python on Linux?
No most use Linux here and in general the whole Python community has for a long time been aim mostly at Linux.
I use both.

Example install Python 3.8.1 on Mint 19.
This will be the same for all linux distros,after install and setup of pyenv.
# Look at available versions 
tom@tom:~$ pyenv install --list
  3.7.5rc1
  3.8-dev
  3.9-dev

# Install
tom@tom:~$ pyenv install 3.8.1
Downloading Python-3.8.1.tar.xz...
-> https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.8.1/Python-3.8.1.tar.xz
Installing Python-3.8.1...
Installed Python-3.8.1 to /home/tom/.pyenv/versions/3.8.1

# Set as system wide version
tom@tom:~$ pyenv global 3.8.1

# Test
tom@tom:~$ python
Python 3.8.1 (default, Feb 11 2020, 09:18:58) 
[GCC 7.3.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> print(walrus := True)
True
>>> exit()

tom@tom:~$ pip -V
pip 19.2.3 from /home/tom/.pyenv/versions/3.8.1/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip (python 3.8)