Python Forum

Full Version: Trying to install Pyquil, says I need Microsoft Visual C++
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been attempting to install pyquil using pip on PyCharm and I get an error message saying I need Microsoft Visual C++, which doesn't go away even if I install Visual Studio and restart my machine. Is it possible for anyone to clarify how I can fix this?
you need Microsoft Visual C++, not Visual Studio. Visual Studio is IDE and it may support C++ development as well as Python and also others. When installing Visual Studio did you select Desktop Development with C++ (although not sure if it will install everything required in your case)?
(Feb-17-2020, 04:25 PM)buran Wrote: [ -> ]you need Microsoft Visual C++, not Visual Studio. Visual Studio is IDE and it may support C++ development as well as Python and also others. When installing Visual Studio did you select Desktop Development with C++ (although not sure if it will install everything required in your case)?

No, I didn't do that; should I try re-installing and doing that?
If you are using PyCharm and not Visual Studio as your IDE, better uninstall Visual Studio and simply install Microsoft Visual C++ as required
(Feb-17-2020, 04:34 PM)buran Wrote: [ -> ]If you are using PyCharm and not Visual Studio as your IDE, better uninstall Visual Studio and simply install Microsoft Visual C++ as required

I un-installed Visual Studio and then downloaded Microsoft Visual C++ from here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download...x?id=40784

and re-started my machine and tried again, but it still didn't work, possibly because I need Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0. Are you possibly able to advise me where I can download that?
(Feb-17-2020, 05:02 PM)buran Wrote: [ -> ]Download and install Visual C++ Build tools from here
https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/visua...ild-tools/

Thanks; now the error message is "error: command 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\\VC\\BIN\\cl.exe' failed with exit status -1073741701"
no idea, whatsoever... maybe someone else...
Using conda can be easier for this on Windows.
It will find needed compiler and other stuff needed.
I tested with.
conda install -c rigetti pyquil
Install and import test 4-5 give no errors.
For this you need Anaconda/Miniconda,they are stand alone so no problem with have installed before.
(Feb-17-2020, 09:27 PM)snippsat Wrote: [ -> ]Using conda can be easier for this on Windows.
It will find needed compiler and other stuff needed.
I tested with.
conda install -c rigetti pyquil
Install and import test 4-5 give no errors.
For this you need Anaconda/Miniconda,they are stand alone so no problem with have installed before.

Thanks, but I now find I can't import get_qc from pyquil.
Pages: 1 2