Python Forum

Full Version: how to get PID's of linux commands executed through python modules?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1]i am using python 2.6.6
2]i need to execute a linux command { tail -f file1 -f file2 | egrep --line-buffered "string1|string2" > tofile.txt &} in background.
3]when executing the command on a linux shell, i could see the pid's as "[1] 2740 2741" but, i am not able to read this output through subprocess.Popen, os.popen and commands.getstatusoutput. commands give error as "syntax error near unexpected token '&' and others give empty string as output and command is running the background successfully though.
4]subprocess.Popen gives a pid but when killed or terminated i could still see the tail and egrep pid's staying alive.
5]how to kill/terminate all these processes ?
1]i am using python 2.6.6
2]i need to execute a linux command { tail -f file1 -f file2 | egrep --line-buffered "string1|string2" > tofile.txt &} in background.
3]when executing the command on a linux shell, i could see the pid's as "[1] 2740 2741" but, i am not able to read this output through subprocess.Popen, os.popen and commands.getstatusoutput. commands give error as "syntax error near unexpected token '&' and others give empty string as output and command is running the background successfully though.
4]subprocess.Popen gives a pid but when killed or terminated i could still see the tail and egrep pid's staying alive.
5]how to kill/terminate all these processes ?
Please, don't start new threads. Just bump your original thread after reasonable amount of time. Excessive/frequent bumping is not tolerated.
(Mar-12-2020, 07:03 AM)Manikandan_PS Wrote: [ -> ]i am not able to read this output through subprocess.Popen, os.popen and commands.getstatusoutput. commands give error as "syntax error near unexpected token '&' and others give empty string as output and command is running the background successfully though.
Maybe show your code...

(Mar-12-2020, 07:03 AM)Manikandan_PS Wrote: [ -> ]subprocess.Popen gives a pid but when killed or terminated i could still see the tail and egrep pid's staying alive.
Do you pass shell=True? in which case as docs state:
Quote:Note that if you set the shell argument to True, this is the process ID of the spawned shell.
understood...thought of moving the question to the appropriate group and surely not to repeat the question again.

yes i passed shell=True and i get 3 consecutive PID's, 1 for shell and the others for tail and egrep as seen through command "ps -ae" but, when shell pid is killed the other two still remains.
i am just trying these commands over python shell to see the behavior and then finally to use it in my script:
###############from python shell environment############
import os
import subprocess
command_1 = "tail -f file1*.log -f file2* -f file3* | egrep --line-buffered "string1:|string2" > /export/home/output.txt &"
p = subprocess.Popen(command_1,stdin=subprocess.PIPE,stdout=subprocess.PIPE,shell=True)
(out,error) = p.communicate()

1] p.pid says 22559 and 22560 for tail and 22561 for egrep as seen through linux command <ps -ae>
2] upon calling p.terminate(), i don't see pid 22559 but the other pid's 22560 and 22561 still remains. how to terminate all these pids ?

(Mar-12-2020, 07:16 AM)Manikandan_PS Wrote: [ -> ]understood...thought of moving the question to the appropriate group and surely not to repeat the question again.

yes i passed shell=True and i get 3 consecutive PID's, 1 for shell and the others for tail and egrep as seen through command "ps -ae" but, when shell pid is killed the other two still remains.
i am just trying these commands over python shell to see the behavior and then finally to use it in my script:
import os
import subprocess
command_1 = "tail -f file1*.log -f file2* -f file3* | egrep --line-buffered "string1:|string2" > /export/home/output.txt &"
p = subprocess.Popen(command_1,stdin=subprocess.PIPE,stdout=subprocess.PIPE,shell=True)
(out,error) = p.communicate()

1] p.pid says 22559 and 22560 for tail and 22561 for egrep as seen through linux command <ps -ae>
2] upon calling p.terminate(), i don't see pid 22559 but the other pid's 22560 and 22561 still remains. how to terminate all these pids ?
both out and error were returning empty but when i execute this command on a linux shell environment i get the pids for both tail and egrep. how to get these two pid's in python ?