Python Forum

Full Version: Python Speech Engines?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What types of speech engine platforms or libraries are available for use with Python?

I've been programming in Windows using C# and Microsoft Speech Platform. I really love the Microsoft Speech Engine Platform. However, it does appear to be fairly restricted to the Windows platform. I am currently hoping to move over to using Python on Linux based machines. So I'm looking for a speech engine platform that may have similar capabilities to the Microsoft Speech Platform but can run on Linux.

I'm aware of GTTS. But doesn't that require access to the Internet in order to use it?

I'm looking for something that would be more self-contained. Something I can use on a device that has no access to the Internet.

Does anyone know of any Speech Engine software for python? I'll need both Text-to-Speech and Speech Recognition. I'm basically working on a project for a talking robot. But I don't want to be dependent on Windows or an Internet connection.

Dies anyone have any ideas or recommendations?

Thank you.
Just as an update, I found what I was looking for.

Pyttsx3 for Text to Speech

And

pocketsphinx for Speech Recognition

I chose these because they meet the following criteria that I need for my purposes:
  • They are local to the machine and independent of the Internet.
  • They are easily configurable in terms of voices and vocal parameters.
  • They are fully customizable in terms of vocabulary
  • They can easily be made to work together in terms of grammar and semantics

So these are my choices thus far and they appear to be what I was hoping for. Only time will tell now. These may not be the best choice for someone who wants an already-programmed voice system. But my purpose is to build a grammar and semantic system from the ground up, so these appear to be a perfect place to start for this project.

Other speech modules and platform may be even better. But these will certainly do what I need for now based on my criteria. Being free from Internet dependency was a big factor in my choices here. But all other features appear to be what I'm looking for as well.

So I'll mark this thread as "solved"