Python Forum

Full Version: .xls processing with Pandas - my struggle moving from theory to practical use
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

My first post here, I have read the posting docs, so hopefully I won't get shot down. My problem:

My skill level:
I have taken a fundamental course in Python (approx 10 hours). I am comfortable with the fundamentals. I am aware of Pandas, and have read up on basic use.

The problem I am trying to solve with Python and in specific, Pandas:
I have an excel file contains a couple of years history from a very basic helpdesk system.
The helpdesk system has very basic categorization, so the column titles are essentially just date raised, priority level, the user inputted query, and the response by helpdesk personnel.

My main goal is to categorize the queries, row by row, based upon the textual content of the query column.

Please could someone give me the broad strokes and general direction to follow? Willing to put in the work, but am under some time pressure so any direction appreciated.

many thanks
P