Python Forum

Full Version: referencing another method in a class
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
how can i reference a method of a class from a different method in the same class?
Normally can just use self as your link to the class.

def class_method(self, arg1, arg2):
        self.other_method(arg...)
what if the method to reference from is __getattribute__()?
You could do that, but it would be very tricky (because the actual lookup would recursively call __getattribute__).

Is there a reason you need __getattribute__ instead of __getattr__? Doing it in the second is trivial. Doing it in the first is tricky.
because i need to substitute all attribute gets with the like named attribute of the actual open file object. that means __getattr__ won't be called because __getattribute__ found the attribute. attribute "close" is the special case where i need to substitute the method in my class (so it can do os.rename() after the file is closed).

yes, i can see it is tricky. and i also have the issue of needing to store a few variables in this object instance, (1 and 2) the file names to rename,(3) the open file object that needs to be referenced and closed. that makes a lot of attributes to juggle (most reference the open file and a few not).
As long as you can tell the difference between when you want the method and when you don't, referencing it should be the same as always.

class MyClass:
    def __getattr__(self, attr):

if attr == "return_method":
            # only if we're called this way do we try to return the method.
            return self.say_hi
        else:
            # __getattr__ will recursively reach here for self.say_hi and object will return it
            return object.__getattribute__(self, attr)

def say_hi(self):
        return "Hi!"

x = MyClass()
method = x.return_method  # reference to the class method
print(method())           # call the class method
this is all in my effort to create topen() a function that emulates open() as close as it can while opening files being created using a temporary name and doing a rename of the temporary name to the original name when the file is closed. a future function named ztopen() will also perform compression or decompression using the compress library open() emulations functions, based on the name of the file.

one thing i did, with success, was create a way to access the self name space without using attributes. the trick i used was to base the class from the dict type. then i can do dictionary style references to self. this avoided much complication in __getattribute__() [though most of these could probably be done less complex in __getattr__()].

topen() is now working for the basic test i am doing. i have other tests to do, including having many files concurrently open (to be sure things never get mixed up).