Python Forum

Full Version: Difference Between Figure Axis and Sub Plot Axis in MatplotLib
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all

I was wondering if someone could help with understanding sub plots.

The term axis is often used with figure windows and subplots and I wanted to understand whether there was a technical difference between axis of a subplot and axis of a figure window.

If I have a 2 x 2 figure allowing me 4 subplots then each subplot will have its own X&Y axis but what does it mean for the figure window to have an axes??

Can someone explain?

Thank you.
What have you done to try and understand? If I wanted to know more I would play around with axis and see what it does. Maybe create 4 sub plots of the same type and plot the same data. For each axis I would change one of the parameters and see how that changed the plot.
Deabhystad

I have done lots of things to understand this.

I actually started off trying to create a figure window.
Then i tried to give it a new title using the .figure function.
I then added a plot using the add.subplot function to split my newly created figure window into a 2 x 2 grid.
I then created the plots which worked great however i could not get the labels to work.

I then took a different approach by using the code:-

figure_window, subplot = pyplot.subplot(2,2)
But it appears that there is a difference between Axes and Axis - as you can see for someone who is new to programming you can see how silly this terminology is.