Python Forum

Full Version: Auto-Updating Dashboard w/ Notifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I am creating a data-dashboard for my company, and need to know if Python is capable of creating what has been requested. I need to create an "always on" dashboard that is available online, can refresh it's data and visualisations periodically from an SQL database, and provide audio notifications when certain metrics reach thresholds.

That last part about embedding audio is where I'm most uncertain of how to approach this.

Is Python capable of this functionality, and if so what libraries should I be looking into?

Cheers,
Kadin
Python can do it.

If you want to start simple, Flask should be fine.
For automatic updates of your dashboard, you can use Flask-SocketIO.
The frontend itself can use JavaScript to update the fields which came from Flask-SocketIO.

The database could be used with sqlalchemy (is an ORM).
But low level access with SQL-Statements is also not the problem. There are many libraries for different types of databases.

In a Project I use Fastapi, which is capable to write self documenting REST-APIs.
There is also a Dashboard with a small JavaScript, which just fetches the new data with simple http requests (no SocketIO stuff).