Python Forum

Full Version: How to create local copies of Python packages so they do not have to be downloaded
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So basically there are issues with proxy server at work. They are quite persistent. One way around this is, to download the important packages once and then store them into a repository on our own internal network.

I know that Python Wheels has replaced Python Eggs and is the the format to distribute compiled packages rather than packages in the form of source code as happens with stdist. I am aware that it is possible to download a package from Pypi and then save it as a wheels package on the computer.

What I don't know is how to do this, and once I have the "wheels" file for a package with their really long names, which I expect is one solitary file per package, how do install it into python or the virtualenv using pip.

Any help is appreciated.
check https://packaging.python.org/guides/host...own-index/

that is if you want to host your own repository

if you just want to install local whl file

pip install path/to/file.whl
The hosting shall be done on my work place version control system. So the question is, is my understanding correct? Also, how do I create a Wheel for a package on Pypi?
(Sep-29-2020, 02:06 PM)okhajut Wrote: [ -> ]The hosting shall be done on my work place version control system.
You can host your own pypi - two alternatives are described in the link I shared

(Sep-29-2020, 02:06 PM)okhajut Wrote: [ -> ]Also, how do I create a Wheel for a package on Pypi?
you want to package your own code into whl file or what?