Python Forum

Full Version: platform independent programming with Python
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

An important reason why I want to get really good at Python is that I can develop software
in Windows that also runs on Ubuntu and MacOS.

Question:
Is there a website, YouTube video or tutorial with which I can learn what things
I have to pay attention to so that my programs run on all operating systems?
Since python is an interpreted language, the code rarely needs any tweaking from OS to OS,
so rare in fact that I never worry about it. The only thing that comes to mind is that there are some character encodings that don't play well between all OS's. Stick to UTF-8 and that goes away.
What is your goal? What problem are you trying to solve? Most Python is automatically be platform-independent. There are an unbounded number of platform-dependent things though, I think it would be better for you to narrow things down for us (significantly) rather than us speculate about the particular things you might come across.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are generic resources, but they're not something I'm familiar with. Perhaps someone else on the forum will know, but I wouldn't bank on it.