Python Forum

Full Version: [split] swearing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Please watch the vulgarity. We try to be a place where parents wouldn't mind their young kids going for help with their programming.
(Apr-30-2017, 10:41 AM)ichabod801 Wrote: [ -> ]Please watch the vulgarity. We try to be a place where parents wouldn't mind their young kids going for help with their programming.

So you consider the word "****" as being a threat to your forum's reputation?
If the parents would care for their kids they wouldn't let them on the internet without parental control for **** sake.
Why would someone use parental controls to block a programming forum?
But @sparkz_alot , if you took the time to edit my post censoring the "offensive" words you could of edited my first post too. Doh
Being a "drug addict" as a Bio for a moderator will make the parents love the guys moderating this forum.
And @nilamo , they would do that because they will find some words that you can hear everywhere outside as being over the edge and prefer having their kids watch that youtube but with red in the name.
Turry, thank you for pointing that out.  If you wish to continue the discussion, please start your own thread in the General Discussion forum and not hijack this one.
(Apr-30-2017, 04:20 PM)Turry Wrote: [ -> ]If the parents would care for their kids they wouldn't let them on the internet without parental control for **** sake.
That doesnt mean we need to add junk to the internet. We help a lot of <10 year olds on this forum, and they dont need to hear that.
Personally, I think the problem with vulgarity on this forum is more the vast majority of non-native speakers than the occasional precocious nerd. Using too much slang and and uncouth words makes the forum look like an American-only club.
(May-01-2017, 12:13 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I think the problem with vulgarity on this forum is more the vast majority of non-native speakers than the occasional precocious nerd. Using too much slang and and uncouth words makes the forum look like an American-only club.

thats prolly true. But the most common country of users on this forum seems to be America.  At least of the team members.
For the most part, I am against censorship and is a slippery slope indeed.  In the case of a public forum, however, common sense does not always prevail. As was pointed out, this is a programming forum that includes members of all ages, sexes, religions, cultures, and ethnicity.  I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the members to respect that fact and censure themselves.
I absolutely don't want a word filter, so you know where I stand.
I think word filters are infantile.

This doesn't give carte blanche to go out of control, but the occasional foul language doesn't bother me. I honestly feel it is quite ingrained in hacker/programmer culture.
Pages: 1 2