Python Forum

Full Version: setting up pipenv
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear all,

I am doing the CodeCademy Python 3 course and there is a video explaining how to install pipenv. I am stuck thow because my setup seems to be entirely different and a lot of key concepts are actually not well explained.

So I installed Python 3.x with Anaconda.Navigator and I also have Spyder 4.1.5. When I tried to find out which exact version of Python I have by opening python command line and entering "python --version" I get the error "name "python" is not defined". Which is odd because I obviously have Python. I also tried to install pipenv from Spyder by entering "pip install --user pipenv" which seems to work smoothly (I get something like "Requirement already satisfied: pipenv in .\site-packages (2020.11.15)").

However, when I try to start pipenv, I also get an error message "NameError: name 'pipenv' is not defined".

This is all very confusing.

Best,
Toby
(Jan-13-2021, 05:07 PM)tobiasfw Wrote: [ -> ]So I installed Python 3.x with Anaconda.Navigator and I also have Spyder 4.1.5. When I tried to find out which exact version of Python I have by opening python command line and entering "python --version" I get the error "name "python" is not defined". Which is odd because I obviously have Python. I also tried to install pipenv from Spyder by entering "pip install --user pipenv" which seems to work smoothly (I get something like "Requirement already satisfied: pipenv in .\site-packages (2020.11.15)").

However, when I try to start pipenv, I also get an error message "NameError: name 'pipenv' is not defined".

It looks like you try to run pipenv as python code (I guess inside pythn interactive shell, that is when you have >>>). NameError is error from inside python.
It's should be executed in the terminal/cmd.