Python Forum

Full Version: I do not understand how to make the correction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
#!/usr/bin/env python
# coding: utf-8

# In[ ]:

import bs4
from urllib.request import urlopen as uReq
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup as soup 
from urllib.request import urlopen as uReq #Web Client

# In[ ]:

page_url = 'https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=graphics+cards'
uReq(page_url)

# In[ ]:

# opens the connection and downloads html page from url
uClient = uReq(page_url)

# In[ ]:

# parses html into a soup data structure to traverse html
# as if it were a json type.
page_soup = soup(uClient.read(), 'html.parser')
uClient.close()

# In[ ]:

# finds each product from the store page
containers = page_soup.find("div", {"class": "item-container"})

# In[ ]:

# name the output file to write to local disk
out_filename = "graphics_cards.csv"
# header of csv file to be written
headers = "brand,product_name,shipping \n"

# In[ ]:

#opens file and writes headers
f = open(out_filename, "w")
f.write(headers)

# In[ ]:

# loops over each product and grabs attributes about
# each product
for container in containers:
    # Finds all link tags "a" from within the first div.
    make_rating_sp = containers.div.select("a")

# In[ ]:

# Grabs the title from the title attribute
# the does proper casing using .title()
brand = make_rating_sp[0].img["title"].title()

# In[ ]:

# Grabs the text with the second "(a)" tag from within
# a list of queries
product_name = container.div.select("a")[2].text

# In[ ]:

# Grabs the product shipping information by searching 
# all lists wi th the class "price-ship".
# Then cleans th text of white space with strip()   
# Cleans the strip of "Shipping $" if it exists to just get number
shipping = container.findAll('li', {"class: price]-ship"})[0]/yext.strip().replace("$", "").replace(" Shipping". "")

# In[ ]:

# prints to the dataset to console
print('brand: " + brand "\n')
print("product_name" product_name + "\n")
print("shipping: " + shipping + "\n")

# In[ ]:

# writes the dataset to file
f.write(brand + ", " + product_name.replace(", ", "|") + shipping + "\n")

# In[ ]:

f.close() # Close the file
If run on python 3.8 or higher gives an error. I believe that I understand the error, but I
do not understand the correction.

Here is the error and here is the correction suggested.

Error:
AttributeError Traceback (most recent call last) <ipython-input-8-2e96067d0256> in <module>() 3 for container in containers: 4 # Finds all link tags "a" from within the first div. ----> 5 make_rating_sp = containers.div.select("a") 6 C:\Users\james\miniconda3\envs\py-dep\lib\site-packages\bs4\element.py in __getattr__(self, key) 2172 """Raise a helpful exception to explain a common code fix.""" 2173 raise AttributeError( -> 2174 "ResultSet object has no attribute '%s'. You're probably treating a list of elements like a single element. Did you call find_all() when you meant to call find()?" % key 2175 ) AttributeError: ResultSet object has no attribute 'div'. You're probably treating a list of elements like a single element. Did you call find_all() when you meant to call find()?
In fact I will post the correction now:
Quote:MINOR SUGGESTION

As of 10/03/2019, If you are following along this tutorial. "container.div" won't give you the div with the "item-info" class. Instead it will give you the div with the "item-badges" class. This is because the latter occurs before the former. When you access any tag with the dot(.) operator, it will just return the first instance of that tag. I had a problem following this along until i figured this out. To solve this just use the "find()" method to find exactly the div which contains the information that you want. For e.g. divWithInfo = containers[0].find("div","item-info")

The link for that can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQgXKtPSzUI&t=1725s

I do not know what to do with the snippet: divWithInfo = containers[0].find('div',"item-info")

If one were to look at all of the replies, then it would that there are several suggestions; but which one will work?

I cannot get the code box to work so I decided to post the error anyway and edit it later.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Respectfully,

LZ
Thank you.

I forgot how to do it. I tried for about 40 min, yesterday, just guessing and I could not
make it work, make the box work. I went ahead and posted my message hoping to come back and edit it later.

I have posted messages on many forums before, but not for months. I simply forgot.

Thanks for your help.

R,

LZ