Python Forum

Full Version: Does anyone here use Learning Python by Mark Lutz 5th Edition?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm considering buying Learning Python, 5th Edition by Mark Lutz (https://www.amazon.com/dp/1449355730/ref...5S3WVUCW20).  I'm working my way through some tutorial books and want a good reference book for when I need to look how to do things.  I had a really good reference book in my VB programming days that was considerably better than MSDN (VB's help system).  The code samples and explanations were just better, and it was my go-to book for when I needed to solve a problem.  The reviews over at Amazon would indicate that Lutz's book is pretty thorough at 1600 pages.  It's not dirt cheap, but it would be totally worth it if it's a quality reference rather than a long-winded tutorial.  If anyone here has used this book, I would value your opinion.  If there's a book out there that would serve as a better reference, I'm interested in that also.
It is a good book, but I like it's companion 'Programming Python' better
The thing I don't like about either of them, is that they should each be two volumes.
I like to read books in bed, but also while in a hot bath. Large books are apt to get soggy.
(May-10-2017, 12:02 AM)Luke_Drillbrain Wrote: [ -> ]I'm considering buying Learning Python, 5th Edition by Mark Lutz
This is the book i bought to learn python on. I still use it today as a reference book. And a lot of my tutorials on this site are almost plagiarized from it. Mine is the 4th edition though. The 5th edition has much much more content.

(May-10-2017, 12:13 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: [ -> ]It is a good book, but I like it's companion 'Programming Python' better
programming python was more about net, tkinter, sockets, etc. While learning python is about the core language and basic principles.

In my opinion i would buy it. It would be a really good book to read and a reference book for years to come like my 4th edition is for me.
I learned with Learning Python, well before 5th edition. For reference I use Python in a Nutshell, but there is no up to date version of that book.