Python Forum

Full Version: PyQt5 MySQL Drivers Not Loaded
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, I'm' very new to python so please bear with me. I decided to try my hands on PyQt5 to build my GUI everything seemed to be going ok until i tried to connect to MySQL database. I imported all the necessary libraries but keep getting the same error:

QSqlDatabase: QMySQL driver not loaded
QSqlDatabase: available drivers: QSQLITE QODBC QODBC3 QPSQL QPSQL7

I have searched across the web but can't get a definitive answer. A lot of people have this issue but no one seems to be able to explain the fix without going into some complex explanation.

I'm using MacOS Big Sur, Python 3.9

I will be grateful for any help you can offer
Seems needs compiling pyQt5 with mysql driver.
(Aug-04-2021, 09:01 PM)mesbah Wrote: [ -> ]Seems needs compiling pyQt5 with mysql driver.

Hi mesbah thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don’t understand what you mean 😢
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/sql-driver.html#qmysql
and check Para:
How to Build the QMYSQL Plugin on Unix and macOS
(Aug-04-2021, 09:24 PM)mesbah Wrote: [ -> ]https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/sql-driver.html#qmysql
and check Para:
How to Build the QMYSQL Plugin on Unix and macOS

Hi mesbah, I went to the page and didn’t understand much of what it was asking me to do. I don’t know what the MySQL header file is, or the libmysqlclient.so. Also I don’t believe I have qmake. I installed PyQt5 and I don’t think it comes with qmake. It seems qmake is only available in Qt which I haven’t installed. Do you know an easier/ less complex way to solve the driver problem? This did not happen with TKinter the MySQL connector worked without any issues. Any help will be appreciated.
Hello people it looks like I’m going to give up on this. All the chatter online has gone way over my head. No explanation makes sense to me and I don’t want waste your time. All the experts seem to suggest installing additional things and I don’t want to compromise my laptop. Tried installing QT and I can’t even verify whether the install was successful (should never have moved to Mac - everything is complex and hidden). It seems more like a setup issue which is outside my scope of understanding. Thanks to you all for responses
How about posting your code before you give up. Maybe you are making a little mistake that is easy to fix.
(Aug-05-2021, 07:38 PM)deanhystad Wrote: [ -> ]How about posting your code before you give up. Maybe you are making a little mistake that is easy to fix.

Hi i deanhystad - you're right to ask for the snippet. Been banging my head against
a wall and jus got frustrated. see code snippet below (i'm trying to test the connection object):

from PyQt5 import QtSql
from PyQt5.QtGui import *
from PyQt5.QtWidgets import *
from PyQt5.QtCore import *
from PyQt5.QtSql import *

import sys

def search():

mydb = QtSql.QSqlDatabase.addDatabase("QMySQL")
    mydb.setHostName("localhost")
    mydb.setUserName("root")
    mydb.setPassword("pioneer1")
    mydb.setDatabaseName("FriqueDB")
    mydb.open()

if mydb.open():

print('database is opened')
    else: print('database not opened')

btn1 =QPushButton(win)
btn1.setText('Search')
btn1.move(370,210)
btn1.show()
btn1.clicked.connect(search)

win.show()

sys.exit(app.exec_())
This is the output:

Error:
QSqlDatabase: QMySQL driver not loaded QSqlDatabase: available drivers: QSQLITE QODBC QODBC3 QPSQL QPSQL7