Python Forum

Full Version: Learned Python Basics, what now?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Greetings,

I took a course that covered most of the Python basics including, OOP, inheritance, scraping, generators, decorators and most collections.

I need to find a place online, even if I have to pay for it, where they offer Python challenges. In other words, they give me some of parts that I need to implement and I build the application. I am not talking about places that asks you Build a function that prints stars and all of that stuff.

I really need to practice what I've learned in order to get experience.

Does anyone know of a place that offers this type of service?

Thanks,
Matt
Dictionary of Algorithms and Data Structures is not what you are asking about but it might help. It has been around for many years and is still there.

Repository of Programming Projects maintained by Francis Glassborow was around for a long time but is not still around except by the Wayback Machine.

Other developers answering similar questions have suggested finding an open-source project.
Have you checked out the challenges here on the forum?
And if you are in the Microsoft world or do not mind going there there might be something in Microsoft Learn | Microsoft Docs.
Personally, speaking only as an amateur, I like Python because I can apply it to things I have to do and do them faster.

Like download a load of results from my webpage database and save them to Excel (about 1 second).

What do you do?

How could Python be of practical use to you and what you do? Then, you will really get the significance of Python.
Yeah, I think the best advice is to find a project to work on. Automating something, games, something related to your other interests, etc. - you can probably think of something that software would be useful for.
Thank you for all of your comments.

I think the main problem I am having is, there are so many potential directions to go in with Python. Data Science, AI, Web Scraping, Web apps and sites. I eventually would like to become employable. I was a web developer years back but had to stop working because of an illness that lasted about 13 years.

I don't think I want to design any GUI apps. Web Scraping is great and I have done it before a long time ago with other languages. I already know SQL, CSS and HTML. So, the natural transition would be to design web apps/sites.

However, at this point in time, I need challenges. For instance, if some of you were to say:

Write a program that does this. It should contain 3 classes with inheritance. The output should look something like this.

Is someone willing to help me with this sort of thing?

I did checkout the challenges on this site. The only problem is, they don't tell you if they're beginner/Intermediate/Advanced and I would need some info to go on. I checked out the other sites as well. Those are pretty cool.

How about something like this Udemy Python Challenges
What are you interested in though? It's much better to pick a project you're interested in. Also, I don't think anyone should prescribe the design (in terms of how the code is structured) - you should try and work out how to use your tools to solve the problem.
(Sep-25-2021, 12:41 PM)ndc85430 Wrote: [ -> ]What are you interested in though? It's much better to pick a project you're interested in. Also, I don't think anyone should prescribe the design (in terms of how the code is structured) - you should try and work out how to use your tools to solve the problem.

I really like Web Scraping but is there much demand for it? Inserting the data into a CSV, Excel or DB.

But I would at least need someone to go over my answer, don't you think?

Is it possible to build a website with Python without the use of one of the Python Frameworks?

I do need to learn how to use Python with a database. So, any good courses you can recommend or tutorials?
(Sep-25-2021, 12:47 PM)muzikman Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to build a website with Python without the use of one of the Python Frameworks?
Yes,but in reality not(if not want to make new a Framework)
Short history CGI the old way did many understand that could not way be for web in future for Python.

So there was an effort to write WSGI(an all Python solution).
Today all Python Frameworks is build on top of WSGI.
So could make website with pure WSGI,but it will be very painful Doh

Flask is thin layer above WSGI build on top of Werkzeug(very close to WSGI) .
So eg Flask has taken over the old CGI way to work with web as you close to HTML/CSS with little overhead.

Django has a other model with a lot stuff build in and has own ORM for database.
In Flask you use plugin if need to extend as eg Flask-SQLAlchemy

FastAPI framework is the new star ✨
Pages: 1 2 3