Python Forum

Full Version: displaying empty list
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to fetch all the respective ID's from the given text file but it is giving me empty list. kindly help me in this.

with open('json-data.txt') as f:
    content = f.read()
    #print(content)

runners = []

for index in range(len(content)):
        for key in content[index]:
            if key == 'active' and content[index][key] == True:
                runners.append(content[index]['id'])

print(runners)
Output:
[]
Where is this data from? It mentions json, but it's not in json format. It's a python expression, so you could just eval() it, but if you don't control the data, that's not a safe thing to do.

Do you need to parse everything? If you just need the ID numbers, a regular expression is sufficient.

import re

text = open("json-data.txt").read()

print(re.findall(r"'id':\s*(\d+)", text))
Output:
['5', '25', '112']
If I want to parse the text data here, how should I do it then?
Why is the file called "json"? Did it start out life as a JSON file? If so, it would be much easier to just read it that way.
(Jan-19-2022, 07:42 AM)bowlofred Wrote: [ -> ]Why is the file called "json"? Did it start out life as a JSON file? If so, it would be much easier to just read it that way.

I am saving the data of the link in the text file that is the reason why I am calling it as 'Json-data'.may be that is the reason why it is
creating ambiguity.
As bowlofred already said: if it's json you should save it as .json and use Python built-in tools for parsing.

However, if you have no control over input data/files then you can use ast.literal_eval() to safely evaluate an expression node or a string containing a Python literal or container display.

from ast import literal_eval

with open('literal_values.txt', 'r') as f:
    data = literal_eval(f.read())

ids = [record['id'] for record in data if record['active']]
print(ids)
Output:
[5, 25]