Python Forum

Full Version: Looking to make a price checking script
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Spent 10 hours watching some python tutorials so I'm familiar with the very basics of python. I'm looking to make a program with python that:
  • Loops through HomeDepot.com store numbers to verify which store numbers are valid [0000-9999]
  • Changes default store location, navigates to an item page and adds an item to the cart then looping to the next valid store number.
  • Finally, parses through the shopping cart and checks to see if any of the items added are the "lowest price". (This works because adding items from different store locations does not stack in the cart but instead individualizes each item)

I'm not asking to be spoon-fed any information, in fact I want to do my own research but currently need a push in the right direction. I've looked into web scraping tutorials with BeautifulSoup but it seems like(to me at least) BS4 is only useful for parsing through html for specific code (which would be useful for the first part of my program) but I don't understand how I can navigate through a website with python. Completing basic tasks such as submitting information into text fields and clicking links is something that I don't know how to accomplish yet with python.

Can someone steer me in the right direction on how I can accomplish the list above with python?
You should start here. These tutorials will get you started in short order:

Web scraping part 1
Web scraping part 2