Python Forum

Full Version: Python newbie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all.
A little bit about me: 20 years ago, I worked in house for an investment bank. Despite not having a coding background I ended up using Perl quite frequently for my job. I ended up taking two Perl classes and became proficient enough that I was able to use it to make our workflow function a lot more efficiently.

Cut to today. I am a stay at home mom. In an effort to modernize my skills, I just completed Charles Severance's 5 course Python course on Coursera. I am currently looking for work, but it seems no one wants to hire someone with a 20 year gap in their work experience. Understandable.

I recently volunteered to be the Secretary at my kids' school. As part of my job I am responsible for payroll for about 8 employees (mostly aides) whose salary is paid by our PTA, not by the district.

The way these employees are getting paid is very primitive and requires a lot of intervention on my part that I believe could be automated very nicely using Python. I am already designing the program in my head.

The way it works now is that I have to send out an email to remind the employee to have their time sheets uploaded to a google file by the end of the pay period. The employee uploads a timesheet into a Google file (manually created by me) by the deadline I have mentioned in their reminder email. I have to summarize their work hours and put those hours in an excel spreadsheet and then email the spreadsheet and copies of the time sheets to the accountant. I have to wait to hear from the accountant as to what the total amount of funds need to be available to cover the payroll for this pay period and email the treasurer the total amount to make sure the funds are available.

Clearly all of this can be automated.

My first question (and I'm sure I will have more) is what would be the best way for each employee to input their work hours? I was thinking of setting up a password protected portion of our school website, where they can input the information and I would have to figure out how to attach a database to this part of the site. Would that be a possibility? I have never done anything like this, so hopefully I'm making sense. Is there a better way to do this other than having them have the school website be the interface they use to input their work hours?

Thanks and please be kind because I am truly a newbie.
I'd suggest as a first step, examine what has already been written, by looking at the packages available here: https://pypi.org/search/?q=payroll. Looks like many pages of packages.

You may or may not find something that you can use, but you will likely get some ideas for your next step.
Thank you!!!

(May-24-2022, 02:38 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: [ -> ]I'd suggest as a first step, examine what has already been written, by looking at the packages available here: https://pypi.org/search/?q=payroll. Looks like many pages of packages.

You may or may not find something that you can use, but you will likely get some ideas for your next step.