Python Forum

Full Version: PEP 671 Syntax for late bound function default values
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
PEP 671 proposes to introduce syntax to solve the "early binding gotcha" when mutable objects are used as default arguments. Instead of writing

def func(arg=None):
    if arg is None:
        arg = []
one could instead use the special syntax arg=>[] in the function signature.

The author of the PEP is looking for support for the proposal. Who likes the idea of having a way to set late-bound defaults in the function signature is this way?

For those who are unsure of the difference between early and late binding in this context, it is this:
  • Default values in Python currently are evaluated once, when the function is created, and then re-used when needed. (Early-binding.)
  • This PEP proposes to add a second mechanism, which re-evaluates the default expression each time the default value is needed. (Late-binding.)

For anyone who wants to read the background, there are a couple of long discussions on this topic in the Python-Ideas mailing list, starting last year and continuing here with some pauses in between.
It is a good idea. It is frequent to have the structure
if arg is sentinel:
    arg = some_value
The pep would make better and cleaner code. +1

Guido van Rossum Wrote:*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
This is so ridiculous. Why does GvR add this to his signature in discussions? Or perhaps it is politically correct must for people working for Microsoft?
I thought it's already in Python 3.11, but it's still a draft.

This change can help to clean up the existing code bases. I like the idea because it's directly visible in the function signature, and you don't have to look in the code of the function. The old way to archive this, is a bit verbose.

(Jun-21-2022, 12:32 PM)Gribouillis Wrote: [ -> ]This is so ridiculous. Why does GvR add this to his signature in discussions? Or perhaps it is politically correct must for people working for Microsoft?
He is a part of BigTech, which is a part of Transhumanism (Eugenics).
Google: Yuval Noah Harari