Python Forum

Full Version: Help in opening and editing an excel workbook from a web-browser
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!
I am not sure if this can be done with flask.

I have an excel template and a web-page. What i want is to be able to open a copy of the template with a button click from the browser, be able to edit this copy and save it.

It would be great if I could open, view and edit this copy within the browser, but even if it happens outside of the browser, I should be able to work with it.

Could anyone please tell me where I should look to get info on such a thing? Cursory googling was not helpful.

Thanks!
I never had the need to manipulate Excel in a browser, but PHP has an Excel module to do that.

Look here.

It is probably easier to set up a database table with the format of your Excel. Can always be exported.

Then you can use pymsql to do things to columns and or rows.

If I open an Excel file in Libre Office, the menu File has a menu item, "Preview in web browser", but I don't think you can edit it.

I'm not really much help, am I.
Maybe I'm missing the point, but is that not what Google Sheets is for (editing an Excel file, from within a Web Browser)?
(Aug-09-2022, 09:22 AM)rob101 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I'm missing the point, but is that not what Google Sheets is for (editing an Excel file, from within a Web Browser)?

Actually, I am making an interface for patient management where this comes in handy. It is being designed to work offline...
(Aug-09-2022, 08:26 AM)Pedroski55 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really much help, am I.

Heyy!
Thank you for the response! Your response helped my indirectly Smile
I am not great at programming and looks like I'd have to get comfortable with a bunch of things before I can use your fix.
My use case is that I need an excel template to be copied and opened each time a new record is being entered. The excel template contains formulae and should allow data entry so that the formulae can be used (this is very easy to do in excel, so I wanted to stick with this).

What i ended up doing, is opening the local file with a button click using:
Error:
start wps <path>
, which gets the job done.