Python Forum

Full Version: Functions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
my question here

my code here
I am new python user as i have embark to do programming, i have a task to complete but i having some challenges.

I have been asked to create four functions, Hotel Cost,Plane Cost, Car Rental and Holiday Cost
#The first function is - Hotel cost and as to take number of nights as an argument.
def hotel_cost(number_of_nights):
    return(450 *(number_of_nights))
# The second function is - Plane Cost and as to take city as an argument and return cost of flight. use if/else if statement in the function to retrieve a price base on chosen city.
def  plane_cost(city):
    if city == "Joburg":
        return(1500)
    elif city == "Cape Town":
        return(1800)
    elif city == "Jozi":
        return (1200)
    else:
        return(0) 
#The third function is Car rental and as to take days as an argument.
def car_rental(days):
    return(250 *(days))
#The last function is Holiday cost and as to take three arguments, number of nights,city,days, and return total cost of your holiday.
def holiday_cost(number_of_nights,city,days):
    cost = (hotel_cost(number_of_nights) + plane_cost(city) + car_rental(days))
    return ("Total Holiday Cost:" + str(cost)) 

#and the last task to do on this project is to print the value of the holiday function to see the result, and thats where i am getting lost. i have trying this code
print holiday_cost
Please advise and assist as its also my first time to post i might made some mistake along.
Thanks
Please use python tags. I added them for you this time, but please review the BBCode tutorial link in my signature.

You need to call the holiday_cost function, just like you (?) called the hotel_cost, plane_cost, and car_rental functions within the holiday_cost function. For example:

print holiday(2, 'Joburg', 3)
Would get you the cost of three days and two nights in Joburg.
More or less, you have your functions right. The only problem is that you need to call holiday_cost when you print it

print holiday_cost(number_of_nights=6, city='Joburg', number of days=7)
That is assuming 6 nights/7 days and travel to Joburg

Apart from that, three more notes:
1. It's better to use string formatting, instead of string concatenation

cost = (hotel_cost(number_of_nights) + plane_cost(city) + car_rental(days))
    return "Total Holiday Cost: {}".format(cost)
thus no need to convert cost to str
2. I understand you have explicit requirement to use if/elif in plane cost function. If that was not the case, I would suggest using dict:
def  plane_cost(city):
    plane_costs = {"Joburg":1500, "Cape Town":1800, "Jozi":1200}
    return plane_costs[city]
or if you want to return 0 for missing city name (In my opinion that is not good idea, because is misleading, one should rise and error in case city name is unknown to you)

def  plane_cost(city):
    plane_costs = {"Joburg":1500, "Cape Town":1800, "Jozi":1200
    return plane_costs.get(city, 0)
3. Based on your requirements, cost_of_holiday, should return the cost, so it should return number, not descriptive str. This way you can use the total cost anywhere else in your program

e.g.

return (hotel_cost(number_of_nights) + plane_cost(city) + car_rental(days))

cost = holiday_cost(number_of_nights=6, city='Joburg', number of days=7)
print "Total Holiday Cost: {}".format(cost)
Thank you very much.