Python Forum

Full Version: Greek letters with .readline() and tkinter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am currenty working on a projekt with tkinter(Python 3.11.2), for wich I have to use the greek alphabet. The Problem is, that if I try to write greek letters with an accent(for example ώ, ὠ or ὡ) into an input box witch I have created with
tk.entry()
, it shows a questionmark instead of the letter.
Also if I try to read data from a seperate .txt file with
.read
, I get a combination of some special characters.
As an example:
ω becomes ω
α becomes α

Is there a way to solve these Problems?
What is your font? Does it have the characters you want?
(Mar-22-2023, 12:55 PM)deanhystad Wrote: [ -> ]What is your font? Does it have the characters you want?
I think so since I am sbled to print them just fine. But I am quite new to python so if u need more/other Information, please let me know.
The font used for printing to the console was set by your shell. It is not the font used by tk.
import tkinter as tk

root = tk.Tk()
label = tk.Label(root)
entry = tk.Entry(root)
print("Label font", label["font"])
print("Entry font", label["font"])
Output:
Label font TkDefaultFont Entry font TkTextFont
My guess is neither TkDefaultFont nor TkTextFont contain the characters you need. Look for fonts on your computer and find a font that does. Then set that as the font for your text widgets.
import tkinter as tk

root = tk.Tk()
label = tk.Label(root, font=("Times",))
entry = tk.Entry(root, font=("Helvetica",))
print("Label font", label["font"])
print("Entry font", entry["font"])
Output:
Label font Times Entry font Helvetica
I have set the font to one with the letters in it. I am now abled to display al the letters I need on a label. So thanks for that.
But the entry(with the same font as the lables) still writes a questionmark instead of some letters.
These appear to be related to your issue:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6354...in-tkinter
https://www.appsloveworld.com/coding/pyt...in-tkinter

How are you typing? Post your code.
I was abled to solve the first problem with the method from your Links.
But if i use following code to red a .txt file, I still get a combination of special characters as output instead of the greek letters.
with open('file.txt') as f:
    print(f.readlines())
Also if there are some letters (as example ρ or Ν) in the file, I get following Error:
Error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Users\tschr\..Dokummente\KZO_Wetzikon\Griechisch\Dictionairy\Converter.py", line 2, in <module> print(voki.readlines()) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "C:\Users\tschr\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\encodings\cp1252.py", line 23, in decode return codecs.charmap_decode(input,self.errors,decoding_table)[0] ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ UnicodeDecodeError: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x81 in position 1: character maps to <undefined>
Do you also have an idea why this happens?
Sound like you need to specify an encoding for the file when you open it. Whatever windows is using is not doing a good job identifying some of the characters.