Python Forum

Full Version: Python3 installation and venp error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
my question here

I am new to python and trying to install python3 on linux server (2.6.32-696.1.1.el6.x86_64).
The VM already has python 2.6 installed, which I believe came with the o/s. So I ended up downloading python3.6 from python.org and ran following commands to install python3:

1. configure
2. make
3. make install

The above command installed python3 in /usr/local/bin as I can see python3 related files in this folder.

I now want to create virtual env and ran following command:

python3 -m venv test      

But getting following error:

Error: Command '['/users/python_venp/test/bin/python3', '-Im', 'ensurepip', '--upgrade', '--default-pip']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

I have been running all the commands as root.  Could you let me know  if I used the correct process to install python3 and why I am getting errors creating the virtual environment?

Thanks
(Jul-24-2017, 09:20 PM)sunilgt Wrote: [ -> ]Error: Command '['/users/python_venp/test/bin/python3', '-Im', 'ensurepip', '--upgrade', '--default-pip']' returned non-zero exit status 1.
(emphasis mine)

python3 -m venv test looks fine and should work, and that error looks unrelated to venv.  I'm assuming if you run just python3 -V you see valid output, proving that python compiled correctly.  Is the same true if you do pip3 -V?