Python Forum

Full Version: Extracting content from a website using Python?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently working with Python 3.1.

I've noticed the community here is quite supportive, and I'm hopeful you can assist me. I'm attempting to fetch data from a website. Despite searching Google and experimenting with various approaches, I haven't found success. Initially, I thought this would be straightforward, but it's proving to be challenging. Typically, for my projects, I use libraries available on PyPI, with requests being the preferred choice because of its robust and user-friendly features. However, my current project restricts me to using only the libraries available in the standard Python library. Could you provide any suggestions or guidance?
Certainly! Fetching data from a website using only the standard library in Python 3.1 can be achieved by using the urllib module, which provides the tools you need to open URLs and handle HTTP requests easily. i hope this will help you. :)
Extracting content from a website using Python involves several steps and tools. The process typically starts with sending an HTTP request to the website using libraries like 'requests' to fetch the web page's HTML content. Once the HTML is retrieved, you can use parsing libraries such as 'BeautifulSoup' from the 'bs4' module to navigate and extract the desired data. For more complex interactions, like filling out forms or handling JavaScript, libraries like 'Selenium' can be used to automate web browsers and capture the required content.
Fetching data without external libraries can be a bit tricky, but it's definitely doable! Since you can't use requests, you can rely on the urllib library, which is part of the standard Python library. Here’s a quick example to get you started: import urllib.request url = 'http://example.com' response = urllib.request.urlopen(url) html = response.read().decode('utf-8') print(html) This will fetch the HTML content of the page. If you need to parse the HTML, you can use html.parser from the html library, which is also part of the standard library.
*** FYI ***: Current Python version in 3.12.4. You should save yourself a lot of grief and install the latest version.