Python Forum

Full Version: problems building python on win32 xp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to build python from source on an older machine running win32 XP SP3.
Apparently the providers of prebuilt win32 versions no longer support XP.
I have Visual Studio 8 installed. It compiles and links most components successfully,
but some source folders/files are missing:

sqlite3-3.6.21
bzip2-1.0.6
tcl.h (in tkinter)
openssl
berkeley db-4.7.25.0

I can do without berkeley db and tkinter, but sqlite3 may be useful, and bzip may be essential.
Are the sources available from python.org or do I have to round them up from various developer
websites?
Which version of Python are you trying to install (build)? (note that for Win XP, you cannot use a version higher than 3.4 (Python on Windows).

Is there a reason you are building it from scratch?
While considering a reply, I discovered a 2.7.14 msi file buried among 3.x versions in a long list of
installers on python.org website. I installed it in the XP system, and the python shell launches ok.
I will try to continue with this, and only build from source if needed.
Any reason you didn't go with the 3.4 msi? The 2.x is now only in 'maintenance' (with no guarantee as to when updates will be made). Even though you will be capped at the 3.4, it is still a big improvement over 2.7.
Out of interest, why are you running on Windows XP? Surely Linux would run faster, and many of the older programmes for Windows XP will run using WINE.