Python Forum

Full Version: Do Machine Learning Employers care if I get a minor in Math on top of MS engineering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going to be signing up for classes in a few weeks, and I'm debating on wether I should obtain a math minor on top of my masters in Computer Engineering. Does anyone know if Machine Learning employers care if I get a minor in math on top of a masters in engineering. Especially if my thesis is going to be a machine learning / data science project.  

The department chair of my MS Computer engineering program, has advised me to not waste my time with any minors, if I got a masters in Computer Engineering.  He explained to me that Electrical and Computer Engineers, with a masters, get their pick of the litter.  My father who is a Electrical Engineer at Qualcomm with a MS degree, has also told me to not waste my time, and to graduate as soon as I can(he has sat at the same desk for 28 years that was bought out by 4 different companies).  My Grandfather who was Chief Electrical Engineer of American Bell/AT&T told me that he minored in Math but only because he didn't get his masters.  I agree with my pool of advisers, but I want to just make sure to hear it from someone with Data science/machine learning experience.  Below is my background which does have much to do with machine learning. 

Background:
- 27 years old (29 when I graduate)
- 9 years of full time college education by end of masters (yes I do owe a lot of debt)
- 2 AA degrees in IT and automotive
- BS in Advanced Automotive Technology
- I ran 2 small businesses, to pay for my BS degree
- One of the businesses was in advanced board level electronics repair
- the other business was in plastic injection molding
- I built my own cnc mill and took about 1 and a half years of machining courses

My goal was to go work for IM Flash, Adobe, Cirrus Logic, Health Catalyst, etc... which are companies mainly based in Utah/Arizona.
I would think that to be an excellent idea, as they go hand in hand.
In addition, it will make your job that much more enjoyable.
I ended up in spectra-chemical instrument engineering design. I always liked math,
but I had to relearn a lot of it for this position. And later in telecommunications, many of
the search engine algorithms were math heavy.
It especially handy with AI.
I'm not an employer in ML, but if I were in your position, I would contact the HR departments of the companies you've listed and ask them. Having spent many years in the electrical/electronics industry I can say that math is a big part of the job. Now retired and attempting to teach my self a computer language (Python) as well as being a member of this forum and reading many of the questions posted, it seems math is also relied on quite a bit. If it is an either/or situation and you have a firm working knowledge of at least Algebra and Trigonometry, then you could probably get by without the minor.  If not, you should, at the very least, take a class or two to bring you up to snuff.