Python Forum

Full Version: Debuger help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been playing with idle a few weeks now. Mostly just learning python basics.
I would like to be able to use the debuger. I watched a few short vids on it on YouTube. Shows if you click source the grey box moves around in the code as it executes the program. Should give some idea where the problem might be if program is not flowing right.

So I am trying to make it work and it just stays up at the top with import pyperclip. Won't track at all. I even tried writing a short program just to see if I could get the debuger to track at all. Sort of does but it keeps popping up another sourcecode called run.py when I step. I can't get it to do anything useful at all.

Can someone tell me what the heck is going on a point me to a debuger trouble shooting page?
Thanks. So far the IDLE debuger does not impress. Considering looking for a Python plug in for visual studio.
I dont find IDLE to be a great IDE, so it wouldnt shock me if their debugger sucked. But i havent used it in years so i dont know for sure. Here seems to be a tutorial about it
https://www.cs.uky.edu/~keen/help/debug-...debug.html
(Dec-16-2017, 06:28 PM)jarrod0987 Wrote: [ -> ]Considering looking for a Python plug in for visual studio.
Visual Studio Community 2017 comes with Python.
I use VS Code(my quick review) which is stand alone editor that can be compared with Atom and Sublime Text.
For state of the art in debugging,so is both VS Code(Free) and PyCharm(free community edition) up there.

RELP is very important(not IDLE version which is bad).
Look at ptpython(review) or IPython.
I took a look at VS Code but it's way to much for where I am at. I starts barking immediately about you don't have this we didn't detect that. Asks me if I want to install it and click here. So I do and it tells me sorry, I can't. I'm just not feeling like taking on one of "Those" programs right now.

I think I am going to try another approach and make a different thread for the problem I am having once I wade though the rules about how to post your code when asking a question.

Thanks anyways guys.
Idle will mislead you, it has issues and if you're a beginner, it might cause you grief!
In addition to Visual studio and the others mentioned, there's PyCharm community edition the debugger will take you all of two minutes to learn.
I have heard good things about PyCharm. Might have to take a peak at it.