Python Forum

Full Version: Forced Password Change?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've only been a member here for just over a week and I was surprised to get a message that I had to change my password to continue using the site. Is that the site's policy? Change passwords every week? Did something happen to instigate this?

Can the site admins create a more informative message? The message was so terse I couldn't decide if it was legit or not. (I'm still not sure if it was.) I finally changed it and then changed it again (by following a different a path.)
precautionary measure from a threat of a hacker. Not normal, this is the second time we did this in over a year.
the password change is reasonable enough, im really beginning to reject registration at sites that use the google captcha. it was fine when that thing started, its a lot more annoying and tedious these days.

i already realise this is probably something no one has any control over, but if this reset becomes a regular thing im not going to keep doing that captcha. i gave up on proboards altogether after 10 minutes of clicking on stupid pictures. thank you for working to keep us secure-- also im not a bot. (i know, thats what all bots say.)
I dont believe you should have to do the recaptcha when doing the password reset...only when you initially register. I can also say without some form of captcha, recaptcha, or recaptcha2.0 that spam can quickly overtake a forum. IF we didnt have it, the whole forum would be spam.

I think recaptcha2 is easier on humans than the old captcha though. It was a pain in the ass to try to identify some of the characters on a captcha form...to the point i would give up on registration on sites. Most of the time recaptcha2 should give a checkbox click, which is ridiculously little effort, but sometimes you get the images, which is a little of a pain, but much better than before.
Quote:but sometimes you get the images, which is a little of a pain
Like click on the squares containing bushes with blueberries on them.
Quote:I dont believe you should have to do the recaptcha when doing the password reset...only when you initially register.

agreed, but it still required me to do so.

Quote:I can also say without some form of captcha, recaptcha, or recaptcha2.0 that spam can quickly overtake a forum. IF we didnt have it, the whole forum would be spam.

entirely agreed.

Quote:I think recaptcha2 is easier on humans than the old captcha though. It was a pain in the ass to try to identify some of the characters on a captcha form...to the point i would give up on registration on sites.

i never get just the checkbox click. ever. i dunno why im being picked on here (meaning picking on by google, not the forum.) i always get the pictures-- it took about a minute (longer than most word captchas take, but i know the ridiculous ones that you were talking about) but ive spent like 5-10 minutes on some-- why, i dont know. they used to be easier, im starting to pass registering on sites that require the picture-clicking, just like we both did with unreasonable word captchas in the old days.

more of a heads-up than an issue to tackle. nothing to do really. cheers.
ill check on that. I dont think its suppose to do the captcha on password reset

I only get anything than the checkbox click when i repeatedly do something like make 100 accounts or something
thank you. normally when i complain about a design/usability issue it is not a request and often not even aimed at the person im talking to, if you can do something to improve it thats always nice, also above and beyond. its a lot easier to say "well, it is what is." good luck.

you said this is the second time this year, so i admit i am thinking about the next time. all the best.
i like the images captcha,  it's more effective against mass registration bots.
(Dec-20-2017, 02:34 AM)Skaperen Wrote: [ -> ]i like the images captcha,  it's more effective against mass registration bots.

I am not so sure. Recently I see those captchas to have a top image which tells you what to look for. Well, The image recognition software and algorithms are quite advanced. I imagine how you tell the program to get the top image and search for the same patterns. I know a guy who wrote a Python program to track the car's ID ( ID, number ? ) from a public webcam. It's fast. And the captchas are static images. What are we talking about... :D
Pages: 1 2