Python Forum

Full Version: How to test a function that is supposed to return NoneType?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all. I'm working on an assignment from an intro to Python course on Coursera and I'm trying to check all my functions. I have a function, shown below, that is supposed to return type NoneType. I am trying to test the function in the shell by creating a variable used in the function (player_info) and populating that variable with required information, and then seeing if my function changes the values stored in the variable. So far, I've had no luck. I referenced/looked up what a few other people have done for this function and I think that my code is good but I would ultimately like to know how I can test this function to be sure.

def update_score(player_info, word):
    """ ([str, int] list, str) -> NoneType

player_info is a list with the player's name and score. Update player_info
    by adding the point value word earns to the player's score.

>>> update_score(['Jonathan', 4], 'ANT')

>>> update_score(['Anthony', 4], 'JOBS')

"""
    ## How to test?  In shell I tried to assign str and int values to
    ## player_info to see if this function would change the value stored at
    ## player_info[1] but had no luck

player_info = player_info[1] + word_score(word)
The function calls another function (word_score) and that function works correctly as far as I can tell (have messed with it in the shell a couple different ways). The other variable, player_info, is in another file that is supposed to be the driver for this word-search game, and is a file that I was provided with in the MOOC course materials.
As such, the function is not correct. Line 16 should be
player_info[1] = player_info[1] + word_score(word)
Giving a new value to the local variable by a statement such as player_info = ... cannot change anything out of the function.