Python Forum

Full Version: Requests in Python for Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.  I'm very new to Python (like 24 hours new). I have setup Python on a Windows machine. I used Python 3.5.2
Have successfully written a small script to fire up a browser and go to a web page with no problem. But now I want to interact with the webpage and am reading Requests is a good way to go.  
Now to my problem - it seems that Requests needs to be installed and to do that I need PIP.  Everything I read suggests PIP is probably already installed as part of Python 3.5.2  but  I can't find the "scripts" folder to even confirm if I have PIP and start using it.  Maybe its a hidden folder or I'm looking in the wrong place.
Any help from someone with experience in Python on windows would be very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
(Nov-13-2016, 03:10 AM)perthpython Wrote: [ -> ] Everything I read suggests PIP is probably already installed as part of Python 3.5.2  but  I can't find the "scripts" folder
Follow this.
So make sure that "Add Python 3.5 to PATH" and "pip" is marked under installation.
And chose a better path like eg C:\Python35.
Restart.
Now you check that "python" and "pip" command work from anywhere in cmd.
pip -V to check version.
C:\>pip -V
pip 9.0.0 from c:\python34\lib\site-packages (python 3.4)
C:\>
So this should be 3.5 placement for you.

You can upgrade pip,it's okay to do it from Scripts folder("pip.exe" is placed here).
Eg.
C:\>cd python34\scripts
C:\Python34\Scripts>pip install --upgrade pip
Now should version be 9.0.1.

Now should pip install requests work from anywhere in cmd.
In 3.5.2, you don't need to install requests, it's already there in urllib. Now named request
Use it this way:
import urllib.request as ur

url = 'www.google.com'  # Your url here
rdata = ur.urlopen(url).read().decode('utf8')
No,he mean Requests there is and extra Wink
Oh, OK is that also for fetching web pages?
Checked it out, I do so little (avoid it actually) web programming, I never looked at it until now!
Yes and a much better choice than urllib.request.
You don't have to guess on encoding,you get the right encoding
As just one example why is better.
import requests

url = 'http://google.com'
rdata = requests.get(url)
print(rdata.encoding) # ISO-8859-1
print(rdata.text) # Source code
It's a popular kid Cool
Quote:Requests is one of the most downloaded Python packages of all time,
pulling in over 7,000,000 downloads every month. All the cool kids are doing it!
Thanks to you both. Very much appreciate your time.  Snippsat you are a champion.