Python Forum
list - 2 questions: - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Python Coding (https://python-forum.io/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: General Coding Help (https://python-forum.io/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: list - 2 questions: (/thread-34441.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: list - 2 questions: - ben1122 - Jul-31-2021

(Jul-31-2021, 12:05 PM)ndc85430 Wrote: The code is still wrong, isn't it? You need to be checking the length of my_list, not modified_list (and the same for the slice) Think about what you're doing - modified_list is the one you're using to hold the return value, my_list is the original, so of course you want to do the operations on the original.

yea, that is what I did, i checked the len of the my_list, and not modified_list. but you told me in the other comment that i need to replace all my_list in modified_list, so i re-uploaded it as modified_list, but then you told me its not what you meant by that.
I cant really understand what you say to me Sad ill try to read again, but I dont think..
Im trying something like that:
i did my_list as the name of the func and added [] ( empty list ).
then checked lenght of it.
uh im confused myself now... i guess I wont be able to complete it...

RE: list - 2 questions: - ndc85430 - Jul-31-2021

(Jul-31-2021, 12:08 PM)ben1122 Wrote: but you told me in the other comment that i need to replace all my_list in modified_list

Emphasis mine. No I did not. I said you needed to use a different variable name for the modified list, that's all. If it makes life simpler, just get rid of modified_list if you don't want to assign to it.

(Jul-31-2021, 12:10 PM)ndc85430 Wrote:
(Jul-31-2021, 12:08 PM)ben1122 Wrote: but you told me in the other comment that i need to replace all my_list in modified_list

Emphasis mine. No I did not. I said you needed to use a different variable name for the modified list, that's all. If it makes life simpler, just get rid of modified_list if you don't want to assign to it.

okay, so I returned to this state:
def format_list(my_list):
    """
    This function returns the words in the list which is in the even side.
    :param my_list: The list of the project.
    :type my_list: str, int, float
    :rtype: str, int, float
    :return: The result of the list on the even only.
    """
    my_list = []
    if len(my_list) % 2 == 0:
        return my_list[0::2]

new_list = format_list(my_list=["hydrogen", "helium", "lithium", "beryllium", "boron", "magnesium"])
print(new_list)
its the beginning one.
I still dont know what is my mistake in here...

I removed the thing you told me at start, so its like that now:
    """
    """
    my_list = []

print(format_list(my_list=["hydrogen", "helium", "lithium", "beryllium", "boron", "magnesium"]))
but still output is the same [], nothing I do changes it.

"""
    """

print(format_list(my_list=["hydrogen", "helium", "lithium", "beryllium", "boron", "magnesium"]))
oh wait , I changed something and now its worked.
i removed the my_list = []
why did it suddnely work?

['hydrogen', 'lithium', 'boron']
its the output, its good i think no?

I cant seem to understand, if I removed my_list = [] and its good now, why is it like that?
it means that my_list shouldnt be a list, but it is a list now, athough i removed [].

any explanation please for it? as I know, in order for a variable to be a list, it has to have [] or something else. but in here it doesnt have it.

Why did you think you needed the line my_list = [] in the first place? All it was doing was creating a local variable called my_list that was shadowing the function parameter, so that the function parameter was inaccessible.

(Jul-31-2021, 12:23 PM)ndc85430 Wrote: Why did you think you needed the line my_list = [] in the first place? All it was doing was creating a local variable called my_list that was shadowing the function parameter, so that the function parameter was inaccessible.

because otherwise it wouldnt count as a list, but I just realized that the new_list thingy, because it has there My_list and i did there [] with stuff in it, it counts as list.
that thing is new to me, thanks :)
about the last thing of the question, adding the and magnesium.
if im doing new_list[-1] ill get: and boron ( of course, because new list is a other list with jumps of 2 ).
if ill try my_list, it wont work, because its not a variable.
what am i supposed to do now?
I tried to create a new variable of list and then modify it to have the last -1 of the my_list, but nothing seems to work.

I don't understand what you're asking. A better way to go about this is to show what input you're giving, what you expect to get out and the code you're trying to achieve that.

I tried to do something global and then use it, but for some reason global is not working here...

"""
    """

joined_list = my_list[-1]
        global joined_list

new_list = format_list(my_list=["hydrogen", "helium", "lithium", "beryllium", "boron", "magnesium"])
print(new_list)
joined_list # Here its not working, the global, it does nothing, why?