Python Forum
Notepad++ with Python interpreter - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: General (https://python-forum.io/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News and Discussions (https://python-forum.io/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Notepad++ with Python interpreter (/thread-10418.html)

Pages: 1 2

Notepad++ with Python interpreter - Truman - May-19-2018

I enjoy using notepad++ but the irritating thing is that I cannot copy anything with cursor highlighting followed by ctrl+c in its interpreter command prompt. When there is a long traceback with error I certanily don't want to type it all on forum to ask for advice. Is there any other interpreter that can be connected to notepad++ that allows this functionality?

by the way, when I paste errors here on forum for that purpose I usually use little cute IDE Thonny although in general I prefer notepad++.

RE: Notepad++ with Python interpreter - Truman - May-20-2018

So, I assume that answer is "no".

RE: Notepad++ with Python interpreter - wavic - May-21-2018

The answer is hardly 'no'. But I doubt that any of us here use Notepad++. It's a great redactor, but usually, we need something more powerful. I am on Linux and for small scripts, I use Geany or vim. When I have to run a script I use the terminal.

There is some Python plugin for Notepad++. I don't know if it can be useful for you. Try it.
Here is some video also. Could be useful too. She is showing how to choose a different interpreter.
A video how to set up Notepad++ for Python programming.

RE: Notepad++ with Python interpreter - buran - May-21-2018

actually you can select, but its a bit cumbersome
1. Right-click on Cmd window title.
2. Select Edit->Mark
3. Mark what you want
4. Hit Enter or Right-click window title again and select Edit-Copy

and @wavic,there are people here that do use NPP for any quick task/code sample when on Windows.
I'm using PyNPP and Python Indent and Python Script plugins.

RE: Notepad++ with Python interpreter - wavic - May-21-2018

That is why I say usually. Smile

RE: Notepad++ with Python interpreter - buran - May-21-2018

well, you said
(May-21-2018, 02:21 AM)wavic Wrote: But I doubt that any of us here use Notepad++.

RE: Notepad++ with Python interpreter - Truman - May-21-2018

(May-21-2018, 06:38 AM)buran Wrote: actually you can select, but its a bit cumbersome
1. Right-click on Cmd window title.
2. Select Edit->Mark
3. Mark what you want
4. Hit Enter or Right-click window title again and select Edit-Copy

and @wavic,there are people here that do use NPP for any quick task/code sample when on Windows.
I'm using PyNPP and Python Indent and Python Script plugins.

Thank you very much for these steps. It indeed works ( and it's not so cumbersome! ).
Regarding plugins I use Python indent. Will check other two too.

Now checking Python Script functions. Could you please tell me how Show Console actually works? How can I run code there? When I paste it and hit run doesn't give me what I want to see.

RE: Notepad++ with Python interpreter - buran - May-22-2018

you don't run code (py-files) there. It's the console. It works the same as if you write C:\>python on command prompt.
It splits the window in two. In my case in the lower part you have the console output and a text box to enter the code line by line. Each line you enter is interpreted at the time you enter it.
Actually this plugin is the one I use the least of the three

RE: Notepad++ with Python interpreter - Truman - May-23-2018

The same thing is in my case. If I have to add line by line it doesn't differ much from IDLE and it's not what I'm looking for.

Now I'm watching a video on how to use NppExec plugin that should be able to execute all code.

RE: Notepad++ with Python interpreter - buran - May-24-2018

ti run the code from within NPP I use PyNPP. Right click the py file and you have options to run the file.