Python Forum
Community editing - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Forum & Off Topic (https://python-forum.io/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Board (https://python-forum.io/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: Community editing (/thread-12089.html)

Community editing - Vysero - Aug-08-2018

Hey there guys I know I am new here at python forums but I had a thought for a suggestion. I wanted to suggest a community editing feature. I am sure many of you have used Stack Overflow before? Well for those of you who have not; let me explain, on stack overflow they have a community editing feature: SO editing feature: LINK. The feature (in my experience) is very useful. Obviously, here at the python forums there are moderators (mod) and administrators (admin) who are capable of these kinds of edits. That being said, simple edits such as grammar, spelling and formating are rare from what I have experienced thus far. Yet, I have stumbled across plenty of posts which were in need of these types of edits.

Again, I understand that I am new and the scope of my understanding of policy here on the forums is limited. I just figured I would make the suggestion and those of you in a position to consider it can take it or leave it. Angel

The way I see it the feature would be thus: On the bottom of every post there is a row of buttons: Email, Pm, Find etc.. here or somewhere similar a new button called "edit" would be placed. The button would give the editor full control over the post, similar to the original posters edit feature. The only difference being that any edit not made by a mod/admin would be put on hold until a mod/admin has had a chance to approve or disapprove of the edit.

As I stated before my understanding of operations on this site are limited and therefore I don't even know if a feature like this would be a possibility. Personally, I would love to see this type of editing feature. For instance, lets say a new user posts a question and some code but she/he forgets to follow the policies about using the python code tags. With the feature I am suggesting any user could easily go back, edit the post and add those brackets. The original poster would then be notified that a change was made to the post. Ideally, the original poster would be able to see the difference between his original post and the edits made.

Something for a few of you to consider Think

-Rob

RE: Community editing - DeaD_EyE - Aug-08-2018

This should work without Mod/Admin intervention.
If it needs an action of a mod to release an edited post,
this could prevent missuse, but raises the workload depending on how much edits there are.

The question is: Do we need this feature? How do other people think about this?
How often does it happen, that an user wants to edit a other posts?

RE: Community editing - ichabod801 - Aug-08-2018

If this becomes a place where we are editing each other's posts for grammar, I am out of here.

RE: Community editing - snippsat - Aug-08-2018

(Aug-08-2018, 04:11 PM)Vysero Wrote: : On the bottom of every post there is a row of buttons: Email, Pm, Find etc.. here or somewhere similar a new button called "edit" would be placed. The button would give the editor full control over the post, similar to the original posters edit feature. The only difference being that any edit not made by a mod/admin would be put on hold until a mod/admin has had a chance to approve or disapprove of the edit.
User over 5 posts has 48 hour window to make edit Permissions
Mod/Admin the edit button is always there.

Don't see a need to have button there all time,then put on hold(approve) if someone want to edit after 48 hour window.
If need to clear up something after edit button is gone,can make a new post this will also bump up Thread in forum.

I think we a somewhat agreement that approve Thread/Post of any kind(fix error like code tag spelling ect..),
before it hit forum is not wanted.
Following Python philosophy it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Vysero Wrote:Something for a few of you to consider
Thanks for your tough on this.

RE: Community editing - micseydel - Aug-08-2018

SO's intent / scope is different than this forum. SO's goal is to have curated questions which have canonical answers. This forum's goal is to educate visitors in the Python language. We don't mark questions as duplicate here. We don't need to have the same degree of "quality" of questions as SO does in order to function well.

I think this feature is a good idea for things like code tags, but not worth adding right now, especially if grammar might end being policed, which (again because of the difference in intent / scope) might upset people.

By the way, SO is kinda blowing up culturally right now, so I'm reluctant to emulate them until they figure their sh*t out :)

RE: Community editing - metulburr - Aug-08-2018

I read SO posts but i never post there. I dont like the way they do things.

I can understand where you are coming from. This feature would also be easy to implement in user groups. However....

Here moderators edit posts to make the post more readable if needed. The more users we get, the more moderators we will add if current mods cannot keep up. There is an edit history log already for admins and mods to view changes to each post and can revert them. Users can edit their own posts up to X amount of time to fix grammatical/spelling errors or add links, etc. After that it is removed to stop people from deleting their own content.

In regards to grammar and spelling. I dont think we need every post to be grammatically correct as summed up by micseydel
(Aug-08-2018, 06:23 PM)micseydel Wrote: This forum's goal is to educate visitors in the Python language.

I do think it would be nice to have for code tags and maybe tutorials section. But i dont think it is required or worth the hassle to implement.

We have a list of past decisions of features we have agreed to not implement based on majority vote. I think i could safely add this to the list of voted down features.
Past decisions

As for my opinion of community edits. I wouldnt want people to keep editing my posts when i forget an apostrophe or i dont upper case the word i, or i accidentally capitalize the second character in a sentence (Which i do a lot). That is just how i type. I can assume others wouldnt want their posts edited either for the same kind of reasons. I can identify people here based on how they type and speak. If i start coming in here with proper grammar, then my account had been hacked. I think it would also generate a lot of work for mods to confirm edits of users that we already deem unnecessary.