Python Forum
Selenium opening pdf in new window - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Python Coding (https://python-forum.io/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Web Scraping & Web Development (https://python-forum.io/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Selenium opening pdf in new window (/thread-12794.html)

Selenium opening pdf in new window - test - Sep-13-2018

Hello!
I've been trying to use Selenium as i am unable to figure requests out (kindly help me with requests here).

I am facing the following problem with selenium:
When trying to download pdf files from multiple links on the same page, it opens the pdf in a different window and throws the following error:
Error:
Message: The element reference of <a href="javascript:__doPostBack('dtgReports$ctl03$ctl01','')"> is stale; either the element is no longer attached to the DOM, it is not in the current frame context, or the document has been refreshed
I have tried the following with no success:
profile = webdriver.FirefoxProfile()
profile.set_preference("browser.download.folderList", 2)
profile.set_preference("browser.download.manager.showWhenStarting", False)
profile.set_preference("browser.download.dir", '/home/bunni/Desktop/pat_files')
profile.set_preference("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.saveToDisk", "application/pdf")
profile.set_preference("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", "")
profile.set_preference("pdfjs.disables", True)
profile.set_preference("plugin.scan.Acrobat", "99.0")
profile.set_preference("plugin.scan.plid.all", False)
profile.set_preference("browser.download.manager.useWindow", True)
profile.set_preference("plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types", "application/pdf")

browser = webdriver.Firefox(firefox_profile=profile)
Can someone please help me out here?

RE: Selenium opening pdf in new window - Larz60+ - Sep-13-2018

Quote:you will have to send it via Browser action chaining only as selenium opens an anonymous session everytime. So, send click command like this.

from selenium.webdriver.common.action_chains import ActionChains
from selenium.webdriver.common.keys import Keys

ActionChains(driver).send_keys(Keys.COMMAND, "t").perform()

from: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31023672/selenium-open-firefox-links-in-new-tabs-not-new-window-python

RE: Selenium opening pdf in new window - test - Sep-13-2018

Hello Larz60+, thank you for your time.
The problem i am facing is that the file i need is behind a link of this type:
[html]
<a href="javascript:__doPostBack('xyzz$ctl02$ctl01','')" style="color:Blue;">View</a>
[/html]
Opening it in a new tab doesnt seem to work.
Also, setPreferences() doesn't seem to be working everytime. I understand that some preferences are frozen. Is there any way to unfreeze them and set?
I have tried the following with no success:
profile.DEFAULT_PREFERENCES['frozen']['browser. link. open_newwindow'] =  2 
Kindly advice.

I can use a partial workaround of this type:
1) Click the link
2) Let it open in a new window
3) Save it
4) Close the window and go back to the page with links

Forthe above, i have tried the following code:
for link in browser.find_elements_by_link_text('View'):
	curr_handle = browser.current_window_handle
	link.click()
	new_handle = browser.window_handles[-1]
	driver.switch_to_window(new_handle)
	#need to save this file
	driver.close() #this call is throwing an error if i am trying the following next
	driver.switch_to_window(curr_handle)
As setting preferences is not working for some reason, i am looking for other ways to save this file. Is there a way analogous to the way we write files as binaries to download something using requests module?
Any help is welcome :)

RE: Selenium opening pdf in new window - test - Sep-14-2018

(Sep-13-2018, 02:08 PM)test Wrote: Forthe above, i have tried the following code:
for link in browser.find_elements_by_link_text('View'):
	curr_handle = browser.current_window_handle
	link.click()
	new_handle = browser.window_handles[-1]
	driver.switch_to_window(new_handle)
	#need to save this file
	driver.close() #this call is throwing an error if i am trying the following next
	driver.switch_to_window(curr_handle)

Apparantly this is not working because the page might have been refreshed by the time the new window was closed. A suggested work around is to rebuild the link list by search_elements_by_link_text('linktext') within the loop.
Still having trouble downloading the pdf though. I would like to write it down as a binary instead of having the browser throw boxes at me. Kindly advice :)

hello! looking for solution to this:
Quote:Still having trouble downloading the pdf though. I would like to write it down as a binary instead of having the browser throw boxes at me. Kindly advice :)
I found the following here
Quote:It may not be the most elegant solution, but what worked for me, eventually, was to simply write each byte, one by one, like this:
f = open('report.xls', 'wb')
for uchar in driver.page_source:
    f.write(bytearray([ord(uchar)]))
f.close()
This produced a working Excel file, which I could then open in libreoffice et al.

But when i try to write google.com homepage using this code, it produces the following error:
Error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 2, in <module> ValueError: byte must be in range(0, 256)
Kindly advice :)

RE: Selenium opening pdf in new window - test - Sep-15-2018

okay, so the type of broser.page_source is str.
I have tried the following to convert it into binary and write it as a pdf file, but no success:
from selenium import webdriver

browser = webdriver.Firefox()
page = browser.get('http://learningstorm.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/RMEOJLET-1.pdf')
f = open('try.pdf', 'wb')
a = map(bin, bytearray(browser.page_source, 'utf16'))
for i in a:
    f.write(i)
f.close()
No errors while writing the file, but pdf doesnt open with the error message being:
Error:
File type STL 3D model (binary) (model/x.stl-binary) is not supported
I'm stuck here. Any help is welcome :)

EDIT:
passing the map object to list() and trying to iterate over each byte returns the following error:
Error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 2, in <module> TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'
What am i doing wrong?

update:
viewing page_source of this pdf link, it looks like a html page and not a pdf file!
what exactly is happening here??

Here i found the following code:
page_src = br.page_source.encode("utf-8") // support unicode characters
f = open('page.html', 'w')
f.write(page_src)
but the encoding seems to be different from that needed for a pdf file. I'm getting a 'file type not supported' error on trying to see the downloaded file.
I think i'm doing something wrong...downloading a file shouldn't be so difficult..
Any help, welcome

There seems to be some bug in firefox driver that is not updating user preferences. Tried chrome driver. That works.
Hope this helps someone else too!