Python Forum
Layout of the "full" post editor - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Forum & Off Topic (https://python-forum.io/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Board (https://python-forum.io/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: Layout of the "full" post editor (/thread-137.html)

Pages: 1 2

Layout of the "full" post editor - Ofnuts - Sep-22-2016

On my screen, the "post thread" button is 418 pixels (half a screen) below the bottom of the text widget, and I have very little use for most of the things in between:

- Post options: I don't even see the point of that one
- Moderator options: I assume this can be done after posting, too
- Thread subscription: who subscribes on a per-thread basis?
- Poll: mmmph.
- Attachments: yes, very occasionally, but could be smaller ( small section like the rest).

Is it possible to remove/reorder things? (attachments/buttons before the rest, for instance)?

RE: Layout of the "full" post editor - snippsat - Sep-22-2016

Quote:Is it possible to remove/reorder things? (attachments/buttons before the rest, for instance)?

There are possible to do stuff like this,but i have to be careful to mess to much with core features.
It can can be revert back or problem with an update to newer version of MyBB.

Regular user do not see Moderator options,the poll option think i @metulburr have turned on in APC.
I think most user just ignore this and post without thinking about these options.
Will think about doing something if many find this annoying.

RE: Layout of the "full" post editor - metulburr - Sep-22-2016

Quote:i have to be careful to mess to much with core features.
We have modified so much i think if we update we will break a lot of things. Plugins mostly...but there has already been a lot of changes to the core files that i think would give us some problems upon an update. 

I did a test run of this. And MyBB doesnt expect you to modify this at all. Meaning... instead of changing one spot, you have to manually change every location, new reply html, new thread html, mod and admin user edit html, etc. In addition i had trouble with placement. I had to put it in the <td> of Post Options, otherwise the buttons went way up above the textbox entry. So its going to be a little bit more of a hassle than just enabling/disabling a plugin. 

Quote:Will think about doing something if many find this annoying.
I agree with this

At first i found it annoying coming from phpbb. But if you join a lot of forums online and use different software, a lot of them have similar setup of scrolling down past the options to the post button.

RE: Layout of the "full" post editor - snippsat - Sep-22-2016

Quote:We have modified so much i think if we update we will break a lot of things. Plugins mostly...but there has already been a lot of changes to the core files that i think would give us some problems upon an update.
Yes i know,think we can run this version for a long time,
the when MyBB 2.0 is stable discuss if we want to change over.
Think MyBB 2.0 will break a lot of stuff anyway :-/

RE: Layout of the "full" post editor - j.crater - Sep-23-2016

When posting, there is an option to subscribe and receive messages, not subscribe, and others... The default one is to subscribe, but personally, I am not used to this, and keep getting surprised by new private messages about thread updates :D
Is it possible to have default setting as "do not subscribe"? I believe that's how most forums work, and thus most users expect it to behave. It's not a major issue though!

RE: Layout of the "full" post editor - metulburr - Sep-23-2016

Quote:When posting, there is an option to subscribe and receive messages, not subscribe, and others... The default one is to subscribe, but personally, I am not used to this, and keep getting surprised by new private messages about thread updates [Image: biggrin.png]
Is it possible to have default setting as "do not subscribe"? I believe that's how most forums work, and thus most users expect it to behave. It's not a major issue though!
Please read the Help Docs -> subscriptions

Oh dear, big facepalm for me, I skimmed too quickly over those settings. Thanks! Still I believe most users would expect the default behavour to be no subscription.

RE: Layout of the "full" post editor - nilamo - Sep-23-2016

Well, at the bottom of each thread, there's a "Subscribe to this thread" link. If you're already subscribed, you can click it to unsubscribe. That way you can be a little choosy about what you care about :p

(Sep-23-2016, 05:21 PM)nilamo Wrote: Well, at the bottom of each thread, there's a "Subscribe to this thread" link. If you're already subscribed, you can click it to unsubscribe. That way you can be a little choosy about what you care about :p

That's right. But unless someone edits the user settings, as metulburr has suggested in an earlier post, the default is being subscribed to every thread. And I believe most people not paying attention (like me =P) and not being used to that (coming from most other forums) don't find that convenient. I hope you understand what I'm saying =))

RE: Layout of the "full" post editor - metulburr - Sep-23-2016

Quote:the default is being subscribed to every thread.
every thread on which you post, not every thread

Quote:Still I believe most users would expect the default behavour to be no subscription.
I think if more people speak up that they hate it, we would switch it

90% of users that create an account wont make it to 5 posts, because they only joined to ask a single question.