Python Forum
spam on the board - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Forum & Off Topic (https://python-forum.io/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Board (https://python-forum.io/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: spam on the board (/thread-163.html)

spam on the board - nilamo - Sep-26-2016

Is the "Jobs" board just a magnet for spam, so that stuff doesn't clutter the General places?  ...because it's pretty much all spam nobody wants to look at, right?

Also, do we not require user's first post to need moderator approval anymore?

RE: Do we really need a "Jobs" board? - micseydel - Sep-26-2016

I've seen a (very) small number of public responses, but presumably there are also private responses. I don't think it's a big deal to maintain it, since I don't think it's doing harm and it very well may be doing good.

I might be missing something, but I think with the better plugins here and integration with Stop Forum Spam Now that first-post moderation isn't as vital any longer. We also have many more mods than we did when that first started, and in a few pretty separate time zones.

RE: Do we really need a "Jobs" board? - metulburr - Sep-26-2016

Quote:Is the "Jobs" board just a magnet for spam, so that stuff doesn't clutter the General places?  ...because it's pretty much all spam nobody wants to look at, right?
I actually took a couple jobs from the other forum a few years back. Paid via paypal. I like it. It gives the option for those that want something created in python, without knowing python, and are willing to fork over money for it. Usually you can tell what is a school assignment as they are quite "mundane" or restricted to doing it a certain way. 

The sole job on there looks a little spammy, especially if you go to their site. But most of the time you get notifications of open python jobs or a single person that wants X done for Y money. 

Quote:Also, do we not require user's first post to need moderator approval anymore?
I installed the plugin for first post moderation option awhile ago just in case (its disabled). But this forum we have 100% control. The other forum we could not add plugins because we could not get server access. There are a bit of security features for anti spamming

1) MyBB compares email addresses and IP addresses against known spammers upon registration. We admins and mods can add a single use that gets by to this list by a single button
2) registration security question
3) recaptcha
4) email activation
5) Restriction for multiple IP addresses for multiple accounts/emails, etc.
6) Restriction for posting too much within a certain time period
7) Restricting post/signature content
8) If they get through that we have th spammer button which removes their content,account,and bans them
9) IF that gets cumbersome we can restrict posting more (such add increasing time between posts) or require first post moderation again at worst case scenario

There are actually more plugins for anti spamming, but i didnt have a major problem so we will see how it goes.

RE: Do we really need a "Jobs" board? - metulburr - Sep-27-2016

Here are some other plugins I have not installed
  • This one i am not sure of because it would be annoying to us to do every time we post. But hey the option is always there if the spam gets really bad i guess.
[Image: 55924-1346141914-incorrect_number_popup.png]

• There is also a plugin called Spamalyser in which checks users post content for spam. It gives it a spam value based on the content as the user pushed "post" and if its high enough blocks the post from ever being made. The mybb help forums have this and it is quite annoying. For example when i put a few command lines in a code box for illustration, it trips this and blocks my post. However they might have it set to a higher strictness than we could. But again if there is a lot of spam, this is always an option. 
There are a few other spam plugins and hacks that can be added. But some are a little intrusive. So there is no need to install them unless we must.