Python Forum
Exiting/killing a program with tkinter but leaving the graphic on the screen - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Python Coding (https://python-forum.io/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: GUI (https://python-forum.io/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Exiting/killing a program with tkinter but leaving the graphic on the screen (/thread-17335.html)

Exiting/killing a program with tkinter but leaving the graphic on the screen - jpezz - Apr-07-2019

I want the opposite of what most people want. I call a python subprogram to put a tk label on the screen. I want that program to terminate itself when it outputs the label (best) or to be sent a "kill" signal from the parent that will terminate the program but leave the label on the screen. Is that possible?

Note that the label is not interactive (i.e. not a button or anything that returns a value).

Note that the label will not have any titlebar. ".overrideredirect(1)"

RE: Exiting/killing a program with tkinter but leaving the graphic on the screen - Gribouillis - Apr-07-2019

For me, if there is a label on the screen, or any image, it means that there is a running program that displays this image. Do you want te replace the python process by some other program?

RE: Exiting/killing a program with tkinter but leaving the graphic on the screen - DeaD_EyE - Apr-07-2019

Something like this?
In this example I use just the stdout of the subprogramm, to set the label.
For demonstration, it's called after 5s.

gui.py
import sys
from tkinter import Tk, Button, Variable
from subprocess import check_output
from threading import Timer

def make_gui():
    root = Tk()
    text = Variable(root)
    text.set('Before')
    Button(root, textvariable=text).pack()
    Button(root, text='Exit', command=root.destroy).pack()
    return root, text

def main():
    root, text_var = make_gui()
    # with threadnig timer
    #timer = Timer(5, label, args=(text_var,))
    #timer.start()

# root.after
    root.after(5000, label, text_var)
    root.mainloop()

def label(text_var):
    stdout = check_output([sys.executable, 'subprogram.py'], encoding='utf8')
    text_var.set(stdout)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    sys.exit(main())
subprogram.py
#!/usr/bin/env python3

print('Hello Label')

RE: Exiting/killing a program with tkinter but leaving the graphic on the screen - jpezz - Apr-07-2019

DeaD_EyE,

No. I would want a python program like your button program (but I don't need active buttons) that when it was executed by another script, it would output the "Button" (or in my case a "label" then it would terminate or be terminated but leave the "button" (in my case, jut a label) behind even though the program that produced it is gone. Think of a program like xsetbg. If my python program called it as a subprocess, it would set the background then terminate but the background would not be "unset". Now, I don't want to set a background. I just want to create a label (with text or images or both or ..) then exit leaving that label sitting on the screen.